how to convert to automatic? by crashmydaytona
Started on: 12-03-2013 04:55 PM
Replies: 14 (523 views)
Last post by: crashmydaytona on 12-04-2013 07:03 PM
crashmydaytona

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashmydaytonaSend a Private Message to crashmydaytonaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im looking for the best or easiest way to convert my 5 speed manual to automatic for the 4T65hd that I believe is a 4 speed. It does not have to be a stock setup. I just need ideas on how to do this. Search brings up a lot of auto to manual but not manual to auto. Thanks for any help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
see if this works (paste it into your browser) its all the threads that I asked the same questions, plus, I am doing this now so I can offer up some info

https://www.google.com/#q=s....nl+qwikgta%2C+4T65E

Rob
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're keeping the Fiero engine, you will not be able to control a 4T65e without an expensive standalone controller.

Perhaps you mean 4T60 or 440T4? These are the vacuum modulated, non-electric 4 speeds commonly swapped into stock Fieros. I would go with the latest 4T60 you can find because while they are essentially the same transmission, they were updated continuously throughout their lifetimes.

440-T4 / 4T60, 4T60-E, and 4T65-E transmission info

Fiero TH440/4T60 Automatic Transmission Conversion by Karl Hamilton

4 Speed Automatic for your Fiero – 440-T4/4T60

You could convert your car to run the '7730 ECM and use a 4T60e transmission, which is the best/newest you can get without going ODBII and an engine swap.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 12-03-2013).]

NetCam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First step is you have to turn in your Man Card. After that, you're on your own
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just searched your username and found out you're in the middle of a 3800 swap?

If that's the case, I have little to add, but quikgta has a good start there.

I'll leave my original response for other searches...
djlamp14

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for djlamp14Send a Private Message to djlamp14Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in the middle of this too. Rip out the manual center, all the cables, install auto selector, install single shift cable...and that should be pretty much it. Might have to do some things with the reverse lights but it will all work out
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by djlamp14:

I'm in the middle of this too. Rip out the manual center, all the cables, install auto selector, install single shift cable...and that should be pretty much it. Might have to do some things with the reverse lights but it will all work out

Do not forget about transmission coolers, mods to the radiator, additional piping, and maybe motor/transmission mounts that go with an auto transmission. I also suspect that there are some programming differences in the auto vs stick ecu.

Nelson
djlamp14

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for djlamp14Send a Private Message to djlamp14Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I figured the motor mounts and tuning would be obvious. I'm speaking from a 2.8 5 speed to 3800 4t65eHD stand point. That would also require OBD2 swap.
crashmydaytona

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashmydaytonaSend a Private Message to crashmydaytonaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NetCam:

First step is you have to turn in your Man Card. After that, you're on your own

If only GM put in a cup holder
crashmydaytona

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashmydaytonaSend a Private Message to crashmydaytonaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

crashmydaytona

567 posts
Member since Apr 2013
should have mentioned I am doing a 3800sc swap Dan is building my harness and programing the computer so I am good there.

A stock fiero auto shifter and cables will work for the 4T65HD I will just need to modify at the transmission end of things? If that is the case I might be better off finding someone swapping to manual and see if they want to trade stuff out.
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crashmydaytona:
If that is the case I might be better off finding someone swapping to manual and see if they want to trade stuff out.

That wouldn't be a crazy idea. There's a lot more to it than most would think.
PFF
System Bot
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bottom of page one has the linkage pictures. you can use the stock fiero AT cable, but you have to modify the way it moves, either at the shifter, or at the trans. You can get a better idea from the pictures in my build thread (I stopped working on this in Aug, so it will not be done anytime soon)

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089035.html

Rob
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

qwikgta

4659 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Originally posted by hnthomps:

Do not forget about transmission coolers, mods to the radiator, additional piping, and maybe motor/transmission mounts that go with an auto transmission. I also suspect that there are some programming differences in the auto vs stick ecu.

Nelson

also, you have some wires to mess with under the dash, unless you take care of them another way. I built my own harness so I had to figure out the TCC wiring (Manual cars don't have the TCC switch on the brake pedel), and the clutch pedal also has some wires that you need to mess with. Its all has to do with starting the car, manuals had to push in the clutch, but without the clutch pedal you have a circut that needs (open/close/ground). I have all this in my notes at home. I also stopped working on my swap in Aug and have not messed with it since. (saving up $$ to purchase new coolant system, gas tank and exhaust system)

PM me if you have any ???

Rob
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bare basics (won't be a stock install, but will be functional):

Disconnect the clutch switch and either add a jumper between the two wires, or remove the plastic rod that attaches to the pedal and tape/wire tie the switch in the extended position - like when you press the clutch. This bypasses the manual clutch interlock for starting.

Remove the clutch pedal, but no need to change the brake pedal to the wider auto setup.

Add TCC switch to the brake pedal and wire it up.

Swap out the manual shifter, cables and console trim for the auto shifter cable and trim. No need to hook up the shifter lock cable (to do so you have to swap steering columns). This does mean you will be able to pull the shifter out of park w/o a key or the ignition turned to the On position.

Add a transmission cooler at the rear of the car. In front of the transmission and under the AC lines works well. This saves you from running transmission cooler lines and swapping out the radiator.

Wiring is where you really have 2 options:
If you use an auto harness from a Fiero, then you have to swap the starter wire pin locations at the 500 connector. Going this route gives you a functioning P/N starter interlock and the backup lights and VSS wires will be long enough for the Auto.
If you use a manual transmission harness, then no change at the 500 connector is needed, but you lose the P/N interlock (so you can start your car in gear) and will likely need to extend the backup and VSS wires.

Transmission mounts, axles and other wiring specific to the automatic transmission you use.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 12-04-2013).]

crashmydaytona

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashmydaytonaSend a Private Message to crashmydaytonaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is great information thanks guys. I will have to get the steering column because my kids love playing in my fiero. Don't wont them rolling away.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock