3800sc fuel pump by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 12-03-2013 02:01 PM
Replies: 6 (533 views)
Last post by: Darth Fiero on 12-04-2013 07:03 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Using either a walbro, Or AC delco EP381 pump, is it needed to "Change" the electrical" Plug" to the new pump ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
GM Shane

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GM ShaneSend a Private Message to GM ShaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the EP381 it connects right up with no changes. I assume that the Walbro and the Deutschwerks is the same.
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

Using either a walbro, Or AC delco EP381 pump, is it needed to "Change" the electrical" Plug" to the new pump ?

If you have a late 86, or 87-88 fuel tank/sending unit in your Fiero, the EP381 should plug right in.

The Walbro pumps I have purchased in the past come with their own wiring harness adapter so you can plug your late 86/87-88 sending unit right into the walbro pump.

If you have an 84 - early 86 sending unit, it will likely have a different type of fuel pump electrical connector which will need to be changed to mate up with the new pump you are installing.

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Figures, it's an 85. just collecting the last few needed parts for my swap. Engine's completely rebuilt, fluid/filter in the trans, axles, harness, exhaust, will still need to send off the ECM for re-programming & get a fuel pump . So, if I get a fuel pump "Pigtail" for a 86 up, the Delco will plug right in ? Are there any "Changes "I need to make as to the Fuel "LINES" ? or will the 4 cyl lines be able to be connected to the 3800 with steel line and compression fittings ? It's a 4 cylinder now. Thanks
turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not to highjack this thread but the pump on my '87GT is bad, and I will have a L67 in the Fiero in the future. Can I run this EP381 pump on my stock V6 without any issues?

Thank you!
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

Figures, it's an 85. So, if I get a fuel pump "Pigtail" for a 86 up, the Delco will plug right in ? Are there any "Changes "I need to make as to the Fuel "LINES" ? or will the 4 cyl lines be able to be connected to the 3800 with steel line and compression fittings ? It's a 4 cylinder now. Thanks

I would get a fuel sending unit pigtail harness (in-tank portion) from an 87-88 V6 car. That way you know you are getting the right one to work with the new pump.

All you really need is to cut the fuel pump connector off of an 87-88 sending unit harness and splice them into your existing sending unit wiring. I use the red butt splice crimp connectors that have the heat shrink+glue already on them. I have found these hold up just fine inside the fuel tank environment. Any good auto parts stores should have them.

Your stock sending unit lines may have a plastic pulsator that couples the steel line to the fuel pump. Remove this and discard it. The new fuel pump you buy should come with a section of rubber hose and clamps that you will install between the sending unit's steel line and the new fuel pump. If you do not get a section of rubber hose with the fuel pump, you must buy fuel hose that is rated for in-tank use. NAPA Auto Parts has this hose and it is expensive. The spec for this line is called: SAE 30R10. You only need about 2 inches of it.

I also suggest you perform the fuel pump "hot-wire" mod I have explained on my webpage here: http://www.gmtuners.com/fiero/hot_wire.htm

-ryan
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Darth Fiero

5919 posts
Member since Oct 2002
I had to perform this same in-tank wiring mod for a 3.4 DOHC swap I did a number of years ago. I documented these mods w/pics and put them on this webpage: http://www.gmtuners.com/Cus...4DOHCFiero/swap2.htm

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock