good brands of shocks/struts? by AL87
Started on: 12-03-2013 12:42 PM
Replies: 24 (1460 views)
Last post by: 85 SE VIN 9 on 12-06-2013 07:39 PM
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
questioning what everyone is using.
I don't want the stiffest koni or kyb, but definitely stiffer than OE.

Monroe and Gabriel shocks and struts seem to be the only other replacements I can source from a store.
and the delco's I can find on ebay, but you know how it is... no performance numbers on anything anywhere
maybe a compatable race shock like QA1?

I wish they had a specific bound and rebound measurement to make things less complicated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mike-ohio

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mike-ohioClick Here to visit mike-ohio's HomePageSend a Private Message to mike-ohioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 87 4cyl with KBY’s front and rear.

It is a daily driver.

The rear KBY’s are nice and I like how they keep the back end in line in turns. They do not feel too stiff and provide a good ride.

The front KBY’s do feel too stiff and really rattle you on hard bumps.

I probably will change the front shocks out for Monroe’s or something softer as soon as I can.

Just my opinion.

[This message has been edited by mike-ohio (edited 12-03-2013).]

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So you don't want 'stiff' like Koni but something comparable to a race shock from QA-1? As you found out, you aren't going to find much. I believe the Koni direct fit parts have been discontinued and that leaves you Monroe, Sachs, Gabriel and KYB. All are stock replacements, non are 'performance' parts.

The KYB GR-2 rear struts available for the Fiero are not stiff... they are essentially a stock replacement. The Gas-a-Just front shocks are a little stiffer than the stock-like GR-2 but not much.

KYB GR-2® / Excel-G®
twin-tube shocks, struts, and cartridges
Purpose: Restores a vehicle’s originally designed handling and control
  • Calibrated to compensate for worn suspensions
  • Components and valving are designed specifically for each application
  • The best choice to restore OE performance and normal driving conditions
  • Built with quality that matches or exceeds OE
  • Coverage for domestic and import cars, trucks, vans, minivans, and SUVs

KYB Gas-a-Just®
monotube shock absorbers
Purpose: Significantly increases vehicle stability, handling, and control over twin-tube designs.
  • Gas-a-Just is the replacement for an OE monotube shock
  • Ideal as an upgrade from an OE twin-tube
  • The more responsive monotube design automatically adjusts to driving conditions
  • Applications for cars, trucks, vans, and SUVs

rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like Bilsteins. They worked great for me for 100K.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced my stock with Monroe, and they're definitely an improvement over stock.

imabuzzkill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imabuzzkillSend a Private Message to imabuzzkillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
KYB's have been good for me. My last 2 Monroe struts had to be returned. My alignment guy found one with so much slop new that I couldn't believe it wasn't leaking. The other had chrome coming off the shaft out of the box.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Sensa Tracs on all 4 corners. In the 70's I used Koni but allot of guys were using Billstein. If you want a performance stiff response, either Koni or Billstein does the job nicely. If you want a more comfy ride with good control, the Sensa Tracs are good.

I haven't used other brands
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can still buy Koni Specials. Bought some last April.
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
meh... I was dreading that... the gr-2's are hard to find a set of. the gas a-just are the same way.

the Monroes and gabriels are cheapo replacements... I was thinking sensatrac, but I really don't want to have to return them in a couple months.

I have not yet even found a single bilstien anywhere.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last I checked Rock Auto still had the gas-a-just
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got Koni Reds from Tirerack two months ago. I saw them on Summit Racing this week.

They're adjustable. Mine are said to be at factory soft. They allow some roll and dive, especially in the front, but with tires now at 35psi the ride is still pretty hard on less than smooth roads.
PFF
System Bot
Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have used Monroe SensaTracs on a number of vehicles, including two Fiero's and no issues. They ride moderately firm and seem to last about 50,000 mi on a daily driver, occasionally more. If using on a seasonal Fiero they should last a long time. Also on bad Michigan roads they seem to keep the tires pretty well planted to the pavement. Good stock replacement .
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
when I mean set, I mean for the front and rear.
I can find fronts of the gas-a-just and I can find rear's of the gr-2

50k only? wow. what about those red mookeh (MK1) struts available on ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CYB...em2586443766&vxp=mtr
Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Monroe's, yep 50,000 mi or so. At least on the crappy roads around here. Really though, it's tough to find a set of shocks that can handle pot holes in blacktop roads, or bad expansion joints, for more than 50,000 before you blow at least one of the four. The Monroes are a good value for a OE replacement. Just be sure to get the SensaTracs, the Monroe Matics are a total waste of money.
goatvenom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goatvenomSend a Private Message to goatvenomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
kyb's are incredibly easy to to find just look on rockauto or amazon the are cheaper on amazon and free shipping. i just redid my complete suspension before i hit the middle walk divider At 75mph
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
KYB GR-2s are available for the front and rear, the KYB Gas-a-Just products are mono-tube shocks only, there are no struts.

If you want a balanced system, stick with all the same line... KYB GR-2 or Monroe Sensa-Trac...

Amazon or Rock Auto... you can go to the manufacturer's website and get the specific fitment part number if you want to be sure. Both KYB and Monroe have a listing for the Fiero.

Mookeh... why don't you try em out for us?
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:
Mookeh... why don't you try em out for us?

for that price, why the heck not?

carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sensa-Tracs are less than $10 more...
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Sensa-Tracs are less than $10 more...

I bought a set of Sensa-Tracs (two struts and two shocks) a few months ago for my '88 Formula during one of their sales events (discussed HERE).

Price after (cash) rebate... $40

No, not each... for all four of them!
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Sensa Tracs went on the car in 2004. They show no signs of weakening. So far they are at about 35,000 kms.

I don't know of any shocks that will reliably do over 50,000 mi. on any sports car.

If you are driving an old lady's car, sure they'll go 100 k mi. but on a performance car, no way

Arn
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wish I could get some NOS replacements... they seemed to last at least 20 years XD
PFF
System Bot
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL87:

I wish I could get some NOS replacements... they seemed to last at least 20 years XD

ACDELCO PROFESSIONAL SHK/STRUT B

STRUT ASM,RR SUSP
Part Number: 503-108
Product Notes:
Premium Gas Charged Rear Suspension Strut
2Dr
Per Vehicle: 2; Years: 1985-1987

ABSORBER ASM,FRT SHK
Part Number: 530-24
Product Notes:
Premium Gas Charged Front Shock Absorber
2Dr
Per Vehicle: 2; Years: 1985-1987

Not technically NOS, but both available on Rock Auto and Amazon... you do know how to use the internet, right?

And as for lasting 20 years... they don't. People just ride around complaining about the ride quality of the Fiero and then act amazed at the handling when they put in a cheap set of KYBs...

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 12-06-2013).]

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use KYBs in back, and monroes in front. good feel.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post12-06-2013 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the stock delco from rock auto do the job, a great front shock
I now have cheapest Monroe on the front ,I just wanted to try them ,,they are xcellent for around town
one is weaker when I hit the rail road track doing 50 mph,but an OK cheap alternative
I have a set of rear delco struts ready to install ,but my Midas struts refuse to quit a really surprising great shock!!!
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The reason I got Koni's was in the hope they would last. It seems to me saving a few bucks on the parts is being penny wise and pound foolish given how expensive (or hard) it is to install them.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock