Not a sign by koensa
Started on: 12-03-2013 03:17 AM
Replies: 14 (543 views)
Last post by: tomsablon on 12-10-2013 02:31 AM
koensa

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for koensaSend a Private Message to koensaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Guys

Thank you for having a look.

I own a 4 speed 1984 Pontiac.
It was imported ages ago and was not used that much.
Previous owner sold it to me and it was in a perfect working condition, before the sale the owner repaired everything.

I drove it for a full month every weekend, even making trips longer then 100km's.

Then all of a sudden, I was driving and the engine cut off, I lost power and I had to park on the side of the road.
later that evening I picked it up and placed it in my warehouse were I could check what was going on.

so :
Lights still work and so does the radio.
the horn.
the 4 blinkers (wich show where you want to go, I dont know the word in englisch) work
the rest of the dashboard does not work
what does not work :
the windshiels wipers,
the blinkers seperatly (left/right)
starting the car
the voltage meter does not work

the strange thing is, the gauges are "stuck" on the postion when I was driving (so it shows me 20km/u , and xxx rpm)

what I already tried :
testing all the fuses
testing the battery voltage
checking the cluthcontrolswitch on the clutch pedal

So it seems no voltage is arriving on the dashboard,

can you guys help me where to look further?
Is it a shotcircuit?
is it the ECM?
is it a cable that is loose?if so where do I have to look?

thanks so much !!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 06:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are a set of fused links (or "fuseable" links) that are connected at the starter. On of those is likely burned out.
I don't know the values (in Amperes) of those links.
I'm sure that someone here knows. Perhaps they will comment.

Edit - It's possible that the link has merely "fatigued" and broken, instead of burning. You might be able to repair such a break, instead of replacing the link. Don't alter the wire length too much. The rating of the fuseable link depends upon the size and the length of the wire.

While you are under the car, look for places where wires might have burned through or rubbed through, and caused a short circuit.

Welcome to our obsession! (I always tell newcomers that.)

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 12-03-2013).]

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's the basic wire diagram for the power supply circuits for your '84. Find out which circuit is common with all of your problems and that will narrow down your troubleshooting. I suspect it's a problem with the many connections at the starter like Raydar said.

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will it crank over?
koensa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for koensaSend a Private Message to koensaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi

Thanks so much for the replys
I'll get under my car soon and follow the 12volt line from the battery, it all connects to
S206,C50D,5RED Fusible link A ..
So i'll check these out

no it does not crank over , not a sign ,completely dead, also no lights on the dasboard...

any more ideas?
thx
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fusible Link E - check connection for corrosion and / or the link is bad!
koensa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2013 04:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for koensaSend a Private Message to koensaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HI,

Does anyone have a picture or a explenation where I can find that Link?
I already opended up the center console so I can see the ECM but it is all good.
So the hunt for link I goes on

thx
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2013 06:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fusible links A & B are attached directly to the starter solenoid (which is attached to the starter motor). Fusible links E & F are attached to the alternator.
koensa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2013 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for koensaSend a Private Message to koensaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Woohoo it works again !!

thank you all so much for all the info and your patience to bear with me.
the car is running again.

it was indeed the fusable link at the starter solenoid.
it was totally wasted.

For now I just connected the cables again to try to start it and it works (and holds)

any ideas on how to permanently fix the wir?
accesability was pretty difficult because so many parts were in the way and I dont have a good jack.

thanks again so much !
some pics :
loose :
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
connected:
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2013 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your fusable links are (probably) still good!...the wire has worn/melted through next to the link, which is the fat part in the wire....probably on the exhaust pipe. Get that soldered and covered up quick!
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2013 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by koensa:

accesability was pretty difficult because so many parts were in the way and I dont have a good jack.

]

Fiero ownership/repair REQUIRES a good jack and safety stands. PLEASE. We don't want crushed club members!

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 12-09-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
tomsablon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2013 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tomsablonSend a Private Message to tomsablonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
will you having a celebratory meal of waffles?
tomsablon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2013 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tomsablonSend a Private Message to tomsablonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tomsablon

411 posts
Member since Feb 2009
will you be having a celebratory meal of waffles?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2013 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if they have Belgian waffles in Belgium. Wasn't that invented by Holiday Inn?
tomsablon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tomsablonSend a Private Message to tomsablonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not sure . could be IHOP, but, we are definitely using a recipe for "American cheese"

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock