ReKey to only use one key? by racingfortheson
Started on: 12-02-2013 09:17 AM
Replies: 6 (258 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 12-02-2013 07:02 PM
racingfortheson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make one key for everything. Is this even possible? I would almost be willing to go back in time and bet who ever thought it would be a good idea to make door key different on older GM's. Anyone ever heard of someone re-keying the ignition to the same as the door?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I remember correctly this has been discussed before and if you look at the 2 keys next to each other, the blanks are different so you can't use one key in the other slot. However, it might be possible to find a new door lock and ignition set that uses one key, I've seen sets being sold for different makes of cars, but never paid attention to number of keys. Problem is you'd have to find a set that also included a trunk cylinder if you wanted them all the same. Maybe a locksmith could "modify" the ignition using parts from a door cylinder so a door key would fit in it.
JJFieroFan

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It might make more sense to install an alarm system with keyless entry and trunk opener. You would still have two keys but you wouldn't need to use the door key. Just keep it in case of battery failure.
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The previous owner of my Fiero broke the driver's side lock, so we got a pair of locks from TFS. We were going to get them rekeyed so that they'd match the trunk, but the locksmith said it wasn't possible for some reason. Kinda sucks that I'll have three keys. Eventually after I install power locks I'll get keyless entry installed to go around that problem.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rbell2915:
...We were going to get them rekeyed so that they'd match the trunk, but the locksmith said it wasn't possible for some reason....

Some time during the Fiero's production run, the lock configuration (and associated key blank) was changed. You probably have newer door locks and an older trunk lock, or something to that effect.
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by racingfortheson:

Make one key for everything. Is this even possible? I would almost be willing to go back in time and bet who ever thought it would be a good idea to make door key different on older GM's. Anyone ever heard of someone re-keying the ignition to the same as the door?

Ihave one key for everything AND keyless entry. But I instaled the locks from newer GM to do it. NOT a bolt in setup but it can be done if you want it bad enough.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Basically you need to add a grove to one of the keys so it fits in the other lock (like groove the ignition key to fit in the door lock) and then have the other locks repinned to match the key that now fits.

http://www.fierofocus.com/a...%20Fiero%20alike.htm

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock