Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Remove nose emblem without removing nose?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Remove nose emblem without removing nose? by ltlfrari
Started on: 12-01-2013 03:49 PM
Replies: 12 (422 views)
Last post by: 1MohrFiero on 12-03-2013 07:09 AM
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bumperpad nose. Is it possible to remove the Fiero emblem from the nose, without destroying the emblem (or the nose), without removing the nose itself?
I can't see any way to get to the nut on the back that holds it in place but just wondering if someone has a less than obvious way to remove it.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Using one hand to hold the badge and the other to turn the nut, you can reach up underneath on the aero nose and I also did the same on an 88 coupe nose. Never tried a bumper pad nose, though. If you are very careful, using a socket, you might be able to remove the nut that holds the badge in place. Given the age of the plastic pin on the badge, don't be surprised if it breaks off.
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not that I know of. Removeing the front facia ist too dificult. From what I remember there are 2 lock nuts on the back of the emblem. If anyone knows diffrent please post a comment.
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I opened the hood and took the small bolts across the top of the nose out, and pulled up on the nose which gave me enough room to get a wrench in to grip the speed nut. It wasn't easy or fast but I did get it off.
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:
Not that I know of. Removeing the front facia ist too dificult. From what I remember there are 2 lock nuts on the back of the emblem. If anyone knows diffrent please post a comment.

It's been a few years but IIRC it's just one nut holding the emblem on. There is a separate stud off-set center to align the emblem, but nothing attaches on that stud. It just slips through a hole to ensure the emblem is on straight.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with FieroFreak. Ive only ever seen one stamped nut and a guide pin on one. You can reach up from underneath. Small arms and hands are a help. I use extensions and 1/4" rachet.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierofool has it right. I did mine that way. One arm up under neath and one to hold the badge. 86 SE.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

Fierofool has it right. I did mine that way. One arm up under neath and one to hold the badge. 86 SE.

Spoon

But the 86SE has an aero nose, not a bumperpad nose. Sounds like the bumperpad nose doesn't have an opening at the bottom.
ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So far as I can see there's really no access from below to the back of the emblem, there's metal brackets and who knows what in the way so far as I can see/feel. I did wonder about getting at it by removing the top bolts and lifting the rear of the top as johnt671 described so I might try that. I am just trying to prep all the surfaces for paint, probably next spring, so just doing a bit at a time and don't want to start pulling the car apart too much yet.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont remember anything different for the aero nose. If you cant reach up from underneath, how about thru the 'grill' opening.
ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nope, the 'grill' just goes into the same space.
Not to worry, I'm not in a rush, plenty left on the car to sand down yet (like most of it LOL) before I really need to take the emblem off.

------------------

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

But the 86SE has an aero nose, not a bumperpad nose. Sounds like the bumperpad nose doesn't have an opening at the bottom.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOHHH.

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I took the black grill under the nose off of my 84 and then it was easy to reach up and change it. The grill only had four screws IIRC.

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock