chevy 350 lt1 v8 random qusestions by sick lake city fiero
Started on: 11-30-2013 04:53 PM
Replies: 33 (1448 views)
Last post by: sick lake city fiero on 12-21-2013 08:47 PM
sick lake city fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sick lake city fieroSend a Private Message to sick lake city fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to start off with i have looked for the answers my self and with no luck i turn to the fourm

I have found this set of heads for the 350 for 100 $ will they work ?
http://www.amazon.com/Patri...Header/dp/B0050SL83U

if not the ram style what junk yard cars should i be looking for year make model

all so not a lot of 411 on turning around the intake can some one point me in the right direction?

in i were to pull the pulleys off a car at a junk yard what year make model do i want

its an Archie kit but not purchased from Archie it was off ksl as engine kradle and tranny ive found one of his vids on the net but it is salt and pepper at best and im a bit over my head and the only person i know that knows about cars thanks for your help
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think those headers will work, they will interfere with the axle on a manual tranny and just plain old not fit on an automatic equipped car. V8 Archie's site recommends sanderson cc90 headers. The intake is from what I understand, a simple thing to do. Just flip it and it bolts down.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sick lake city fiero:

I want to start off with i have looked for the answers my self and with no luck i turn to the fourm

I have found this set of heads for the 350 for 100 $ will they work ?
http://www.amazon.com/Patri...Header/dp/B0050SL83U

if not the ram style what junk yard cars should i be looking for year make model

all so not a lot of 411 on turning around the intake can some one point me in the right direction?

in i were to pull the pulleys off a car at a junk yard what year make model do i want

Those headers will not work, you need ones like these (or the sandersons mentioned above):
http://www.jegs.com/i/Patri...t/737/H8052/10002/-1

If you want to use cheap cast iron manifolds, the LT1 has the raised D-port and don't like up well with the old RamsHorns. You can use 2 driver side manifolds from the LT1 camaros.

The intake flip requires welding to the intake to build up the seal surface at the front/rear as they are different shapes (and when flipped leave small holes)

The LT1 swap uses the stock 6 rib balancer from the LT1.

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whatever exhaust manifolds or headers you use, they need to dump straight down (not hug the block)

The LT1 has a very large water pump... you will have to cut deeply into the right Fiero frame to clear this...
...or use resized custom axles to move the engine/trans assembly more to the drivers side

FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a set of "SS turbo header" from EBAY. I wanted to run a single wide band, and the stock fiero GT exhaust. I made a 2 1/2 inch SS crossover pipe that runs into a 2 into 1 "Y" that feeds into a exhaust dump. I works. I can leave the house with out the old people next door falling out of bed.

sick lake city fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 04:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sick lake city fieroSend a Private Message to sick lake city fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the information guys!!!

the sanderson cc90 headers are a bit pricey as i'm in really deep all ready... im trying to go the cheapest rought for now

"If you want to use cheap cast iron manifolds, the LT1 has the raised D-port and don't like up well with the old RamsHorns. You can use 2 driver side manifolds from the LT1 camaros."

so just use the same year driver side ? on both sides ?

and i im not good at welding yet i only started trying a few days ago so flipping the intake is out for now....

i guess some back ground would help too

i have a 1987 fiero 2.5 with
automatic,
a/c,
lambo doors,
trans am dash swap,
custom center console,
custom speakers

as for the Chevy 350 i got it off ksl for 1500 guy said it was out of a fiero with 90k on it, " looks more like it never made it in when i got alot of it it in boxes

engine from casting numbers i've figured it to be a 94 Lt1 5.7 camaro,
fuel injected,
5 speed Isuzu tranny,
cradle/ k member, "that looks longer than mine any one have dimensions ?"
oil filter kit,
Archie kit,
front motor /ac mount,
alternator mount,
tranny adapter plate
wireing harness
computer

im sure theres more....

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

so just use the same year driver side ? on both sides ?

Yes use 2 driver side manifolds from the Camaro LT1. They look like this and will clear all transmission types. They also have the same D port shape designed specifically for LT1 heads.

cradle/ k member, "that looks longer than mine any one have dimensions ?"

These are for the 88, but the main attachment points to the chassis are the same.
http://images.fieroforum.co...e_Top_View_Drwg2.JPG

oil filter kit,
Archie kit,
front motor /ac mount,
alternator mount,
tranny adapter plate

I assume you plan to convert your car to a manual then, as the Archie adapter plates and starter mounts are different between manual and auto transmissions.

I hope you got the axles, as Archie's LT1 kit uses custom axles to shift the engine/transmission further to the passenger side for opti-spark/balancer clearance.
sick lake city fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sick lake city fieroSend a Private Message to sick lake city fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey thanks every one again any! information is good information! and i have tried to give you guys a nice review i dont have enuf posts to do that.. so guess its time to get on it

FIEROPHREK
fieroguru
MaxCubes
FFIEROFRED

thanks
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I were you I'd rethink that exhaust cutout. I have one pointing out rear center on a V6 and it's loud.
sick lake city fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sick lake city fieroSend a Private Message to sick lake city fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I assume you plan to convert your car to a manual then, as the Archie adapter plates and starter mounts are different between manual and auto transmissions.

fieroguru yes I do plan on converting to a manual I got every thing I need for the manual swap from the junk yard for around 100 bucks
tranny(spare),izuzu 5 speed
mounts,
clutch lines,
reservoir,
pedals,
select/sift cables,
shifter,
axles,
The steering column was missing so im still searching for that!
I finally found out how to resize pictures to work with the pip ill get them up soon..

I hope you got the axles, as Archie's LT1 kit uses custom axles to shift the engine/transmission further to the passenger side for opti-spark/balancer clearance.

sadly i didn't get axles out of the deal with the 350 so at this point i have 4 axles a set from izuzu trans and automatic set ive done some research on the matter and i don't know enuf yet still reading the entire internet on the matter lol
sick lake city fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sick lake city fieroSend a Private Message to sick lake city fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sick lake city fiero

19 posts
Member since Sep 2013

If I were you I'd rethink that exhaust cutout. I have one pointing out rear center on a V6 and it's loud.

are you talking about fierofreds setup ? im not sure i know what you mean ?
PFF
System Bot
sick lake city fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sick lake city fieroSend a Private Message to sick lake city fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sick lake city fiero

19 posts
Member since Sep 2013
just some random photos of the beast if you want to see something specific just ask

[This message has been edited by sick lake city fiero (edited 12-07-2013).]

sick lake city fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sick lake city fieroSend a Private Message to sick lake city fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sick lake city fiero

19 posts
Member since Sep 2013

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It does look like that cradle has been extended for a replica application.
sick lake city fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sick lake city fieroSend a Private Message to sick lake city fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It does look like that cradle has been extended for a replica application.

yea i figured as much from my measurements of the 87' 2.5 duke cradle

i thought there might be a possibility it was an 88 i hear the 88 cradle is better
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure that optispark module is in perfect condition before final install.

------------------

Red: TPI V8 + 6-Speed White: 3800SC auto
304rwHP/366rwTQ

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2013 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That cradle does look like it's been stretched a bit.

Archie
sick lake city fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sick lake city fieroSend a Private Message to sick lake city fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Make sure that optispark module is in perfect condition before final install.

good looking out on the optispark tip i have read up some on it has any one used something like this The Delteq Opti-Direct Solution?

[url=]http://www.delteq.com/[/url]

thanks once again
sick lake city fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sick lake city fieroSend a Private Message to sick lake city fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sick lake city fiero

19 posts
Member since Sep 2013

That cradle does look like it's been stretched a bit.

yea.....hey Archie the grand master him self lol thanks for joining in on the conversation always nice to hear it from the horses mouth.
I've watched your vhs "finding a vhs player was the hardest part of the swap so far lol" that came with this engine and kit like 5 thousand times,

do you have links to more information i should read ? advances/changes since then? "the vhs install video"

thanks again you all rock !!!!!as soon as i have 30 posts ill give all helpful party's a good review!!!!
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

good looking out on the optispark tip i have read up some on it has any one used something like this The Delteq Opti-Direct Solution?

I haven't use any of the optispark conversions, but it looks like the Delteq setup still uses the optispark for ignition timing and control and just moves the spark terminals out of the housing and to coil packs.

The EFI connection LT1 24X solution completely eliminates the optispark housing and converts the engine to run off an LS1 ecm and enables coil per plug ignition control.
http://www.eficonnection.co...nnection/24xLT1.aspx

I am currently installing their SBC 24X conversion kit on a SBC but it won't be ready to run for another month of so.
n7vrz

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The early GM optispark could get moisture in them which would cause them to fail. The early units have vents in the underside. GM's 'solution' was to route the vents to a vacuum source. That would eliminate the moisture problem. But there were other problems that weren't addressed.
MSD did address those issues with their updated unit. So the new MSD Optispark would be the way I would go. It is less expensive than that other system. Plus the rest of the system would be stock parts. In your other system the plug wires are custom. The coils are from a Caddy, etc.
If you decide to go with the MSD I would suggest ordering direct from MSD at their website. The reason is that there could still be some of the older units out there that aren't of the new design. Those would be as failure prone as stock GM.
PFF
System Bot
patch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for patchSend a Private Message to patchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Doug, glad to see you're doing something with this. This did come from a stretched Fiero kit car project. It was uncompleted and was stretched 6-7" with a 308 body IIRC. I did not realize that the cradle was stretched ( I know seems dumb in hindsight). But I'm happy to give you a stock cradle I have lying around if you want it. I bought this from a fellow PFF member in 2004 or 2005. I don't remember his name but he was a very nice guy. He lived in Petaluma at the time and I lived in the Bay Area at the time. I drove to his house and we removed it from this car. It not a completed running swap and I'm sure I told you that. I was told that this was originally a Archie kit but had been sold a few times prior to me buying it so it was definitely not complete. Once removed, I received this as you received this other than a exhaust pipe kit that I believe was originally part of the kit. That exhaust was used on a different car that was sold previously. I did include a used V8 Fiero exhaust system that I bought on Ebay that may or may not work due to LT1 placement on the cradle. The guy I bought this from I believe was told by the guy he bought it from that it is believed to have 90k on the engine. That 90k is clearly from whatever car it came from (believed to be an F-body) and I do not believe this was ever running in a Fiero as it is incomplete. I never had axles for this or had it in a car. I have never swapped a LT1 in a Fiero and don't know much about the swap. Clearly Archie and fieroguru do and are a wealth of info on this.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I haven't use any of the optispark conversions, but it looks like the Delteq setup still uses the optispark for ignition timing and control and just moves the spark terminals out of the housing and to coil packs.

Originally posted by n7vrz:
But there were other problems that weren't addressed.

The big problem with the Opti-Spark is that the optical pickup and the high voltage secondary side of the ignition are in the same volume and not shielded from each other. Both the EMI and the ozone created by the distributor portion of the device gradually degrades the operation of the electronics in the optical pickup.
sick lake city fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 03:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sick lake city fieroSend a Private Message to sick lake city fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fiero guru

The EFI connection LT1 24X solution

seems like it would be the way to go definitely let me know of your experience with it + how much closer could you get the pully

n7vrs

In your other system the plug wires are custom. The coils are from a Caddy, etc.
If you decide to go with the MSD I would suggest ordering direct from MSD at their website. The reason is that there could still be some of the older units out there that aren't of the new design. Those would be as failure prone as stock GM.

good point and information all in all im most likely to go the cheapest rought whitch will cost me in the end but times are ruff as a gas clerk
sick lake city fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 04:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sick lake city fieroSend a Private Message to sick lake city fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sick lake city fiero

19 posts
Member since Sep 2013

Hi Doug, glad to see you're doing something with this. This did come from a stretched Fiero kit car project. It was uncompleted and was stretched 6-7" with a 308 body IIRC. I did not realize that the cradle was stretched ( I know seems dumb in hindsight). But I'm happy to give you a stock cradle I have lying around if you want it. I bought this from a fellow PFF member in 2004 or 2005.

hey patch nice to hear from you again, im trying to do something with it any way haha lots and lots of reading... yea you let me know all that when i bought it lol and it was good doing business with you. as far as the cradle the swap is on a 87 so i have an 87 cradle w a bit o rust as well as the stretched cradle if the one your willing to give up is better id be glad to take it off your hands i could pay you in beer and good conversation ha ha thanks
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

http://www.eficonnection.co...nnection/24xLT1.aspx

I am currently installing their SBC 24X conversion kit on a SBC but it won't be ready to run for another month of so.

I am very interested in this. I would like to keep my TPI setup but bring the ECM/timing to the 21st century.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For info to anyone using a carb on one. Use a fiber or wood wedge spacer under the carb to relieve vapor lock and hold the carb level.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:
I am very interested in this. I would like to keep my TPI setup but bring the ECM/timing to the 21st century.

I am detailing that swap in this thread (along with other mods):
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...3/HTML/000142-4.html
sick lake city fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2013 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sick lake city fieroSend a Private Message to sick lake city fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so im prepping the new cradle just to verify before i cut stuff off i remove the engine mount and auto trans mount right ?

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2013 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, you can cut both of those mount brackets off.
sick lake city fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2013 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sick lake city fieroSend a Private Message to sick lake city fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks guru, and with the quickness too.... i hate moving forward without yes you should do that lol its the perfectionist inside
PFF
System Bot
patch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for patchSend a Private Message to patchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hey patch nice to hear from you again, im trying to do something with it any way haha lots and lots of reading... yea you let me know all that when i bought it lol and it was good doing business with you. as far as the cradle the swap is on a 87 so i have an 87 cradle w a bit o rust as well as the stretched cradle if the one your willing to give up is better id be glad to take it off your hands i could pay you in beer and good conversation ha ha thanks

No problem. You grab that cradle any time you want it. It is rust free but I believe it is from an '84 and therefore I believe the rear toe links are slightly different and less desirable geometry. I'll definitely take you up on that beer offer
sick lake city fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sick lake city fieroSend a Private Message to sick lake city fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so the trans mounts i got at the bone yard for the Isuzu 5 speed have been bent a bit getting the spare trans out what kind of dimensions are you guys getting on the cradle and in the engine compartment i know Archie's measurement of 16 3/8 from center of cradle bolt to center of harmonic balancer just curious any other dimensions i should be aware of? i haven't found any thing consistent...

Originally posted by patch:

No problem. You grab that cradle any time you want it. It is rust free but I believe it is from an '84 and therefore I believe the rear toe links are slightly different and less desirable geometry. I'll definitely take you up on that beer offer

Thanks a ton Patch I'm going to continue with the one I have it cleaned up pretty nice and the slightly better geometry ill be giving you a call if i fubar the cradle I really really appreciate the offer tho i would still be down to grab a game of pool sometime after all this over time I've been putting in for x mass

Thanks again everyone happy holidays yall
sick lake city fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2013 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sick lake city fieroSend a Private Message to sick lake city fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just an up date i got the mounts off and cleaned up for the most part shocks off mostly makeing every thing look nice and rust free i cannot wait!!!!!!! but prefection takes time.

allso what is the round thing( rubber ) on the cradle in the previous picks next to/down from the motor mount ? has the number 0028525 on it what dose it do anything? reconmendations lob it off leave it?

another question for Archie do you still provide custom axles and or individual parts allso is the izuzu adapeter plate the same as the getrag ?

thanks again yall happy holidays

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock