gas smell by NiotaFiero
Started on: 11-30-2013 01:24 PM
Replies: 8 (254 views)
Last post by: NiotaFiero on 12-02-2013 05:46 PM
NiotaFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiotaFieroSend a Private Message to NiotaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the egr tube blocked off at both ends, I have a strong gas smell , the car runs fine and idles at 1000 RPMs. Could this gas smell be caused by a bad 02 sensor while the EGR tube is totally blocked off ? It isn't pulling any codes.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A leaky cold start injector.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another source may be the evap. canister. Make sure the vacuum lines are connected.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, first thing to check is the cannister. It is vital to eliminate the fumes from the gas tank vent

Arn
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

A leaky cold start injector.

I'm told I have a gas smell also, but I think what I smell is oil and antifreeze.

I do see something wet around the big hex thing with a small tube under the plenum on the driver's side. Is that the cold start injector? It's not loose, neither the hex cap or the pipe. I ordered an injector o-ring gasket set from Summit Racing. I assume you loosen the hex cap and replace what's underneath. On the right track? Any help?

SMP-SK57
O-Rings, Fuel Injection, Viton®, Kit
(Mfr. #: SK57)

http://static.summitracing....small/smp-sk57_s.jpg

[This message has been edited by 85 SE VIN 9 (edited 12-01-2013).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, you are on the right track.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! Good to know. Having raw gas on the engine makes one a tad nervous.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:
Another source may be the evap. canister. Make sure the vacuum lines are connected.

Originally posted by Arns85GT:
Yes, first thing to check is the cannister. It is vital to eliminate the fumes from the gas tank vent

Arn

In addition to these suggestions to check the evap. canister, make sure you check the filter that is at the bottom of it. When you remove the clamp holding the canister and remove it, you will see a filter on the bottom of it. Often this filter gets overlooked as it's not mentioned in the service schedule to replace it, but if it's dirty and clogged it will create a strong fuel smell.
NiotaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiotaFieroSend a Private Message to NiotaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How do you tell if the evaporator canister is bad?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock