Lower intake cold air passage by Lilchief
Started on: 11-29-2013 08:48 PM
Replies: 6 (242 views)
Last post by: Lilchief on 11-30-2013 07:29 PM
Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2013 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since I have repaired my air leak in the lower intake, cold air intake passage with new rubber cover, my power is down from when it was leaking. Was thinking if I could adapt some type of valve that would open at wot I might get that power back. It ran really good when the old plug got sucked into the intake. My AIT was bad also, which added richness to compensate for the leanness. Has anyone ever tried this ? Any ideas ? This is with a trueleo intake. 3.4
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lilchief:
It ran really good when the old plug got sucked into the intake.

Could you expand on that comment a little?
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757: Could you expand on that comment a little?

I think I can help with that. IIRC, he has a Trueleo intake and Buick GN throttle body on his 3.4 V6. (I have the same setup) The GN throttle body doesn't use an idle air tube, so the idle air tube fitting on the lower intake gets capped off. Apparently, that cap deteriorated and caused a big vacuum leak. Now that the vacuum leak is fixed, he feels that his engine has less power than before.

My advice would be to fix the remaining issues with the sensors, get a wideband O2 sensor on it, and go from there.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used the L98 twin 40-something mm throttle body and it has an idle air passage built into the throttle body.
If something rubber-like got sucked into your intake, for all you know it could be keeping a valve open if the intake/head doesn't get hot enough to melt it.

I'd do a compression test.
Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After thinking about this some more I think it might be better to weld a bung on the intake neck and run another hose to the cold air intake passage. Blacktree you pretty well nailed it. It had more power at wot when the plug was gone.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is your throttle body opening completely at WOT?
Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last time I checked it was going all the way open. May check it again tomorrow

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock