F23 parts list help.... by sco77
Started on: 11-29-2013 07:03 PM
Replies: 6 (491 views)
Last post by: bcampbell on 11-30-2013 06:36 PM
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2013 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am currently gathering parts to upgrade my current Muncie to F23 on my 3800 Fiero, going to tear it back down sometime next spring.

Will my current clutch/pressure plate work? Here is the only picture I have of it...

Stage 3+

What about flywheel, does the 0.820 machined flywheel work? If so what spacer is needed?

Are there any active vendors selling brackets?

Thanks

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV
98 GTP - Some mods

[This message has been edited by sco77 (edited 11-29-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroaddicted

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2013 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fieroflyer made my mount brackets for the f23. Also made my shifter linkage and modified my 5 sp shifter to utilize two getrag select cables. Also, you may have to use a htob spacer...prob something like .250"...but you will have to measure your own setup to be sure of the proper size if needed. I think your .820 flywheel will work, but i'd wait for the experts to chime in.
troy
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2013 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Clutch should fit and your flywheel will be fine I would recommend an HTOB spacer to be safe. Only way you will know for sure if the clutch fits is to bolt it all up and crank over the engine by hand and see if it turns ok then pull it apart and check for scraping marks. Dan

------------------

DARN Cars now open with
Over 30 years wiring experience between cars and trade as an avionics technician in both Canadian Air Force and civilian aviation.
Over 25 years experience building and modifying cars.
Over 10 years of full Fiero engine swaps and harnesses building and still going.

bcampbell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bcampbellSend a Private Message to bcampbellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seems like most 4-speed clutch kits work with the F23 bellhousing. As for a HTOB spacer, I didn't use one when I put mine together and then after I bled the clutch the HTOB overextended almost right away. My solution, rather than use a HTOB spacer, was to use washers to space the clutch master away from the firewall. IIRC I used 5 or 6 washers on each stud and haven't had any problems since. Much easier than installing a pedal stop and IMO makes more sense than a HTOB spacer.

I also feel like using a Getrag select cable as a shift cable is less than ideal. I used that as my original setup but my friend was drag racing the car and broke the select cable being used as a shift cable during a shift (he WAS shifting it quite agressively though).
joshua riedl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed the spacer. Using someone else's measurements I found here, the clutch fingers need to be 2.5" from the bell housing surface. The clutch still over extends even with Rodney's adjustable pushrod. The clutch reengages after 3/4 travel on the pedal. I went from the 4 speed like you and haven't had a problem. I did go slower in the quarter though. Traction will be a bigger problem with he lower first gear.
sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I picked up an F23.. Good news is only $100, bad news is it has just over 100k miles... But maybe I will find a low mile cobalt and do the hybrid F23.. Or maybe they sell rebuild kits, the tranny so far seems in good working order and doesn't seem to have any play and all gears seem to engage and spin as they should (not sure what else to look for), not sure how long these last. Worst case it will just be a backup tranny if I find something better in the timeframe.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV
98 GTP - Some mods

bcampbell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bcampbellSend a Private Message to bcampbellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My trans had over 200,000 km on it when pulled and everything looked great inside when I split the case. I got to drive te car before it was removed as well.

I split the case to install an OBX LSD. I would recommend doing the same as long as you're splitting the case. Was not too bad to do it myself; I shimmed and installed everything myself except for having the VSS gear pressed on, didn't have any special tools (apart from the one I made with an old clutch disc, and everything surprisingly went well. The OBX diff WILL need to be rebuilt right out of the box however if you want it to last.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock