Engine shock won't go into place by josh.rucci
Started on: 11-28-2013 03:37 PM
Replies: 6 (178 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 11-29-2013 09:20 AM
josh.rucci

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josh.rucciSend a Private Message to josh.rucciEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have 2 86 GT's (one is a roller) the other has a good engine that I am putting into the roller). For ease I will refer to the car the engine is going INTO as red, and the car the engine came out of as black. To lift the engine off the black cradle, I used the hook point on the front head, and the top bolt for the engine shock on the backside of the block (directly behind the A/C Compressor). After I had the engine bolted onto the red cradle and attached to the red transmission, I tried to install the engine shock onto the red cradle so that I could proceed to put the cradle into the red car. But for some unknown reason, the shock won't go into the top part of the bracket (the part that mounts to the block). The sleeve that runs through the shock seems to be too wide to fit into the bracket. What am I doing wrong????
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pics would be helpful, but it sounds to me like you've bent the dog bone bracket. If this is the case, it shouldn't be too hard to straighten it back up. You could take a large adjustable wrench, close it over the side of the bracket that's bent and carefully pull it back into place. The trick would be to figure out which side bent, and make sure you only pull it in far enough to still have room for the bone.
josh.rucci

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josh.rucciSend a Private Message to josh.rucciEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not talking about the dog bone, I'm talking about the little tiny shock absorber that is on the firewall side of the engine. It mounts to the top of the cradle and right behind the AC compressor on the back of the block. The spot where it mounts to the block is like 3/4" thick and does not appear to be bent in any way.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have any "great" pictures of it, but perhaps you might try inverting it since it appears as though it may be a different size at either end.

josh.rucci

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josh.rucciSend a Private Message to josh.rucciEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has a sleeve on both ends, the bottom is small and doesn't come past the rubber in the shock, but the top one has a sleeve that stick a good 3/8-1/2" out either side. The part that is baffling me is that I personally took the shock off of the block yesterday, and then today after getting the engine onto the different cradle, the shock won't go back into its mount on the block. When I went to put it in, the sleeve was at least 1/4" too wide to fit into the slot. I will have to wait until morning to post pictures, as it is too dark and WAY too cold for my creaky joints to be in the driveway messing with anything else tonight
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2013 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the sleeve too wide on both sides, or just one? If it's just one side, you can slide it over until it fits.

Also, check to see if the sleeve is all one piece. Somebody may have stuck two shorter sleeves in there at some point. If that's the case, they may have drifted apart during the engine work, making the sleeve appear to get wider.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2013 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josh.rucci:

It has a sleeve on both ends, the bottom is small and doesn't come past the rubber in the shock, but the top one has a sleeve that stick a good 3/8-1/2" out either side. The part that is baffling me is that I personally took the shock off of the block yesterday, and then today after getting the engine onto the different cradle, the shock won't go back into its mount on the block. When I went to put it in, the sleeve was at least 1/4" too wide to fit into the slot. I will have to wait until morning to post pictures, as it is too dark and WAY too cold for my creaky joints to be in the driveway messing with anything else tonight

grind it, the sleeve if it is really to long and you just don't have them reversed, or just at the wrong angle to fit or the other mount was wider. if we are both talking about the same thing. this shock came off the other block right? if it came off this block then it could just be twisted, the shock tube.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 11-29-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock