Zinc coated rotors question by rogers9280
Started on: 11-27-2013 11:40 PM
Replies: 5 (417 views)
Last post by: Steven Snyder on 12-01-2013 02:23 PM
rogers9280

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2013 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogers9280Send a Private Message to rogers9280Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have bought some zinc coated corvette rotors for a project. I have them sitting inside my weather tight camper on top of bed, out of the box. I live in nh, it is starting to get colder now, I noticed that they are starting to oxidize.
Question is: does anyone know why this is happening?
And what can I do to help stop this?

Thanks for your time and any correct answers.
Please, no I think answers.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Zinc oxidizes. The coating doesn't last forever (in fact it doesn't even last very long). I don't even bother with the zinc-plated rotors anymore. They take longer to bed the pads since you have to wear through the zinc, and the coating doesn't last any longer than paint. In the future, just get the painted ones...

If you want to slow down the oxidation until you install them, then spray the rotors with a light oil and put them in some plastic bags. You can get the oil off later with soap and water followed by brake cleaner.
rogers9280

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogers9280Send a Private Message to rogers9280Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you. I did not know this. Can I just paint over the zinc? I'm thinking not where the pads meet the rotors, but everything else. That way I could keep those parts nice and shiny by clear coating.
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What about powder coating the rotors? Obviously not the face but the rest including the vents? I was going to get the zink Corvette ones for my Formula but then thought about getting the plain ones and powder coating them. Thoughts?
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogers9280:

Thank you. I did not know this. Can I just paint over the zinc? I'm thinking not where the pads meet the rotors, but everything else. That way I could keep those parts nice and shiny by clear coating.

If you carefully mask off the pad contact area you can paint them. VHT makes some paints that will hold up at brake rotor temperatures (under street use).

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 12-01-2013).]

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Steven Snyder

3323 posts
Member since Mar 2004

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

What about powder coating the rotors? Obviously not the face but the rest including the vents? I was going to get the zink Corvette ones for my Formula but then thought about getting the plain ones and powder coating them. Thoughts?

Not worth the effort or cost. The masking would take more time than the rotors are worth. You have to mask the hat ID, hat face, hat inside, and pad contact area.. and after all that is done I don't know if the powdercoat would even stay on at 600+*F. The rotor does expand/flex a bit.

Just buy the Centric rotors for the Corvette. They are very nicely made and have a durable black paint on the edge of the vanes and on the hat.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock