Rough Idle by newfiejeff
Started on: 11-27-2013 07:55 PM
Replies: 5 (213 views)
Last post by: newfiejeff on 12-01-2013 08:00 AM
newfiejeff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2013 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1986 2m4 5 speed
I have posted in the past here about a rough idle every now and then and the replies was a vacuum leak, also it was a bit of a high idle. Sometimes when I drive the car it takes a fit of rough idle then it goes away and also the engine light comes on and goes out at random times. So while checking my alternator in the garage tonight while the car was idling it took a fit of rough idling and while it was rough idling there was black smoke coming out of the exhaust. So for 5 or 10 seconds or so it was black smoke and then it went away.

Any thoughts on what it could be or what to start checking?
Also there is no codes on the computer.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 05:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know anything about Fiero cylinders, but when my V6 started to act up, I found there was a leak in the vacuum lines.
bb
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had an '84 SE since new (now 363,000 km) that would occasionally significantly misfire. It would happen after a cold start during damp or rainy weather & disappear after a few kms of driving. It was like the ignition was being rapidly & erratically turned off & back on, the tach needle would bounce crazily around & the check engine light would flash.

The symptoms would also disappear when accelerating. I presumed that opening the throttle was advancing the timing and affecting the ignition in a way that mitigated the issue somehow.

I found that the contacts in the distributor had developed white deposits. If I cleaned the deposits off or replaced the distributor cap the problem went away until the deposits reappeared about a year or two later.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2013 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good, but wouldn't I get some other symptoms then every now and then, maybe I will take the cap off.
would a weak/bad fuel pump give issues like that? Thinking on it now, it would be probably be starved for gas and backfire. So a flooding at certain times would mean an ignition problem or a sensor.

If it was a sensor what would give trouble like that every now and then?
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Who had the car before me took the egr valve off and welded over the holes, i took the bracket off and put a new gasket on and the car seems to be working fine.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock