Started on: 11-26-2013 08:01 AM
Replies: 10 (368 views)
Last post by: Steven Snyder on 11-28-2013 03:09 AM
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2013 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know this may be a matter of preference but I need new back tires and I`m sort of wondering which way to go.
I originally had 235/40-17 tires but Hankook doesn`t make that size anymore.
If I go 235/45-17 the tires will be about an inch larger in diameter but if I go 245/40-17 then they will be a little wider but only very slightly larger in diameter.
The rears are 8" rims which are at the minimum requirement for 245 width tires.
This is probably the best shot I have from the rear of the car showing the current tires.
Any thoughts?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2013 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2013 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Lar but I like the Hankooks and my front tires are perfectly fine so I don`t want to change brands.
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2013 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you go with a wider tire, your going to need a wider rim. Sears has a nice tred pattern on their Falcone brand tires.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2013 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, Hankook recommends an 8" to 9.5" rim for the 245 with 8.5" being the ideal so I think an 8" would be fine.
I do need to check the inside clearance to the strut as I`m not sure how close my current tires are.
I guess with the little larger tire it would slightly help with my highway driving with the 3-speed auto.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2013 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

If I go 235/45-17 the tires will be about an inch larger in diameter...

Looks like you've got a bit more wheel gap in the back than the front, so go with the slightly larger diameter 235/45-17 tires.

They'll be perfect, and you won't have to worry about your wheels being the wrong width.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2013 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Patrick, that`s a good point but when I got home I looked at the tires on my car and they are 45 series not 40s like I thought, my bad.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2013 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

Thanks Patrick, that`s a good point but when I got home I looked at the tires on my car and they are 45 series not 40s like I thought, my bad.

Well, there you go then... Get the same size tires and you're all set!

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2013 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another positive thing about the 235/45-17 is that it is almost identical in diameter to the 215/60-15 that came on the car.
Your speedometer will be more likely to be accurate, unless you've changed a bunch of things around.

That's what I've got on mine, too.

Edit - At one time I had 245/45-17s on it. They fit my 8" wide wheels okay. Not perfect, but okay.
------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 11-26-2013).]

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2013 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea Raydar, I checked the aspect as compared to originals when I was shopping for tires and wheels and that`s what I found.
I should have know something was up because I didn`t think that Hankook would stop making a fairly popular size tire and when I looked at my old post showing when I first got the tires and wheels I had mistakenly put 40 series as specs.
I have them ordered from TireRack and should get them tomorrow as they have them in the warehouse in Louisiana.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 11-27-2013).]

Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ran 255/40/17s on 17x8 wheels for years, including at a bunch of autocrosses. It's not ideal, but it fits. The contact patch for 255 on an 8" wide wheel probably ends up being the equivalent of a 235 or 245 on a properly sized wheel.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock