Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Need some help getting a 88 2.5 up and running (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Need some help getting a 88 2.5 up and running by DLCLK87GT
Started on: 11-25-2013 09:16 AM
Replies: 53 (1099 views)
Last post by: DLCLK87GT on 01-14-2014 11:28 AM
mike-ohio

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mike-ohioClick Here to visit mike-ohio's HomePageSend a Private Message to mike-ohioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just posting this thread so you can verify the plug wiring is correct.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...020511-2-018040.html
IP: Logged
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll try starting fluid just to say I did but I think it's an electrical issue, not fuel. If it was simpler I would add in a fuel pressure gauge but it sounds like an expensive pain in the ass.

Originally posted by mike-ohio:
just posting this thread so you can verify the plug wiring is correct.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...020511-2-018040.html

Timing is correct, 4,3,2,1 on the motor, left to right and
1 On the brick.
Interestingly enough, In that thread the Ogre mentions a ground strap going from the stud on the ICM brick to a stud on the bell housing. He says he has both studs, but no ground. I’ve got the same, 2 studs, no ground strap. Could this cause all the problems I’m having, a missing ground strap on the ICM brick??

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 01-06-2014).]

Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:
it sounds like an expensive pain in the ass.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/127190.html

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 01-06-2014).]

DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Gall757, unfortunately the link in that thread to the Jegs adapter doesn't work or i'd order one now as adding that in seems simple enough once you get the right parts.
Kekipi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KekipiSend a Private Message to KekipiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Plastic timing gear failure, Cracked head or block, failed compression rings. Check compression, find out how many volts are in the spark, valves sticking open, bad fuel, return fuel line clogged, wrong fuel pump.
Kekipi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KekipiSend a Private Message to KekipiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kekipi

1832 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Recalabrated fuel sender? Throttle wheel thing? Some thing is up and might be one of these. I never recalabrated a fuel sender but think I can but why did you have to? I know your trying to save money but if I wasn't a certified Mechanic I'd send it to one to diagnose the problem then fix it myself.
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kekipi:

Recalabrated fuel sender? Throttle wheel thing? Some thing is up and might be one of these. I never recalabrated a fuel sender but think I can but why did you have to? I know your trying to save money but if I wasn't a certified Mechanic I'd send it to one to diagnose the problem then fix it myself.

Recalabrating the sending unit is easy to do and fixes the common issue of the fuel gauge reading 1/4 when it's actually empty. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/092117.html I did this when i dropped the tank to replace the dead pump. The throttle wheel thing is what the throttle cable goes to on the engine, mine was stuck from sitting. Another easy fix but neither are the problem at the moment...unfortunately.

DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DLCLK87GT

2694 posts
Member since Feb 2009
Added ground strap from ICM to chassis, douched it with starting fluid while cranking = no change.
Now that I don't believe fuel is a problem it's got to be an electrical issue. Yes?
I will check the compression on each cylinder when I can, like most we're heading into record cold and she's outside so it might not be until this weekend. I'm going to order the Schrader "T" valve for the fuel line as well. Again I don't think that's the problem but it might be a good thing to have assuming I get her up and running.
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kekipi:

Plastic timing gear failure, .

I wish somebody had mentioned this a few months ago. I didn't know there was a plastic timing gear that can strip and all you need to do is peek in the valve cover while cranking. I'll be pissed if I’ve spent all this time and money on a dead motor.
Will check the valves in a couple days when it warms up to above freezing.
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2014 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I checked the valves and they're moving so "whew" it's not the timing gears. I ordered this off eBay today for $29
(edit pic not working) its an actron fuel pressure test kit
it should be here mid week. Tomorrow I'll check compression and then after that....??

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 01-11-2014).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2014 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You probably already did but I have to ask if you replaced the fuel filter.
PFF
System Bot
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update; I checked the compression and all is good... I cranked each cylinder at least 4 revolutions and got up to a little over 150 psi and each cylinder was basically the same PSI so that's not the issue. After I reconnected everything I told my helper (wife) to crank it over and the same thing, ran half ass coughing and sputtering like it was way off timing. Then I told her to try it again while I manually operated the throttle and the little F'er RAN! Sure she sounded terrible but it ran longer than it has since we got it so that tells me the TB is the issue. it's not fuel, it's not electrical ...it's AIR! I don't think she can BREATH! I'm guessing that the AIC needs to be removed and cleaned but at this point, I might as well pull the whole TB and rebuild it. I'll let you know what happens afterwards. ( fingers crossed)
edit to add; yes new feel pump and new filters all around.

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 01-12-2014).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boy almost sounds like a crank sensor. I had one go bad and the darned car was missing and spitting running rough and just running bad. It did this for a few days before I got a new sensor. They are not expensive and not to hard to replace. I think I have one or a couple left over.
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

Boy almost sounds like a crank sensor.

One of the many parts I’ve already replaced with no real improvement unfortunately. Cracking the throttle blade open a hair allowed it to run. Again it didn’t sound right but it ran until I let it close, then it coughed and died. Rebuilding the TB may not solve the problem but it’s one more thing I can cross off the list. By the time I get her running everything will be new! ...and I'll be broke HA!

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 01-14-2014).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock