Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  87 Fiero L4 - Car overheats with thermoststat in place, no flow to radiator

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
87 Fiero L4 - Car overheats with thermoststat in place, no flow to radiator by z1motorcars
Started on: 11-24-2013 11:58 AM
Replies: 7 (183 views)
Last post by: katatak on 11-24-2013 08:45 PM
z1motorcars

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for z1motorcarsSend a Private Message to z1motorcarsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
87 Fiero L4. I've tried two different Stant 180 degree thermostats. With the thermostat in place the temperature will rise quickly and the car will overheat. The radiator hose is cold, the hose in the rear of the car by the thermostat housing is really hot. I've bled the system a couple of times. If I remove the thermostat the problem seems to go away. In regular driving the car may reach 220, fan kicks in and temperature drops immediately. Any ideas? Thanks to all.

Bernie
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Midn1ght Driv3r

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Midn1ght Driv3rSend a Private Message to Midn1ght Driv3rEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was having the same kind of issue recently. Kept replacing the thermostat, and it still wouldn't kick on when it should have. My issue was that the gauge was reading incorrectly as it does for a lot of people here. I'm not sure how accurate yours is but that's what was wrong with mine at least. Is the temperature light turning on?
z1motorcars

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for z1motorcarsSend a Private Message to z1motorcarsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It did come close to overheating once, light came on but a hose had come loose. The main problem is with the thermostat in place there doesn't seem to be a flow from the rear of the car to the radiator. The hose by the thermostat housing is 'hot', the hose by the radiator is 'cold'. If I take the thermostat out both hoses get warm.

Thanks for the response,

Bernie
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is possible that the water pump impeller has detached from the shaft and is not spinning much. The symptoms you have would point in that direction, but it is a rare failure.
z1motorcars

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for z1motorcarsSend a Private Message to z1motorcarsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I just replaced the water pump, tensioner and serpentine belt. No leaks, tough to get the tensioner in .. but .. all went well.

Without the thermostat there doesn't seem to be any problem with circulation.

Bernie
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be tempted to drop both thermostats into a pot of boiling water, and see if they open.
z1motorcars

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for z1motorcarsSend a Private Message to z1motorcarsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good idea, thanks.
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are your coolant tubes "crushed"?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock