HOW TO REMOVE A BROKEN PLUG ... by MrRich
Started on: 11-24-2013 06:50 AM
Replies: 20 (636 views)
Last post by: Boostdreamer on 11-26-2013 08:52 PM
MrRich

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MrRichSend a Private Message to MrRichEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the best way to remove a broken plug from a 2.5L 1988 engine?
When trying to remove the plug, only the body of the plug came out. In other words, it left the threads in the head and only the porcelain with the tip came out. I can see into the cylinder head.
The engine is still in the car. I haven't removed the head yet.
Thanks
MrRich
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MrRich:

What is the best way to remove a broken plug from a 2.5L 1988 engine?
When trying to remove the plug, only the body of the plug came out. In other words, it left the threads in the head and only the porcelain with the tip came out. I can see into the cylinder head.
The engine is still in the car. I haven't removed the head yet.
Thanks
MrRich

Soak it with PB Blaster then use an ease out...Used this methodba few times...

MrRich

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MrRichSend a Private Message to MrRichEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you saying I don't have to remove the head for this?
What about the debris that will fall into the head?
Thank you
MrRich
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you soak it for a few days, odds are it will come out in one piece....you can get one of those inspection cameras if you think there is still something in the cylinder.
MrRich

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MrRichSend a Private Message to MrRichEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll give it a shot. Thanks for your help!

MrRich

Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One word: heat. Once you soak it with release agent, use a torch & get it as hot as you can. Let it cool a little, then use the ease-out to back it out. Don't break the ease-out or you'll open a whole new can or worms...
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
MrRich

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MrRichSend a Private Message to MrRichEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That will be very helpful!
Thank you
MrRich
Robertzep2

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robertzep2Send a Private Message to Robertzep2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to do this recently to my 1987 Fiero GT 2.8L V6. Unfortunately, the previous owner never replaced the front spark plugs!

First, I flipped a six inch extension socket and attached it to a number five screw extractor (easy out). Second, I attached a seven sixteenth (7/16th) inch star socket to a three eighth (3/8th) inch ratchet then I attached the other end of the seven sixteenth (7/16th) inch star socket to the top of the six inch extension socket. Third, I carefully put the improvised ratchet and number five screw extractor (easy out) assembly into the center of the broken spark plug.

After all the tools were carefully lined up I started turning the ratchet counter clockwise or to the left very slowly and steadily. The trick here is to hold the ratchet and the whole tool assembly perfectly horizontal, don’t push it down or pull it up and take your time. Easier said than done on a 2.8L with little room between the firewall and the block. Since the screw extractor is narrow at the tip and gets wider at the top, it will drill down to the broken spark plug as you turn the ratchet more and more. As the screw extractor goes deeper into the broken spark plug, it unscrews the broken spark plug at the same time. For me with the 2.8L, and about twenty minutes because the ratchet would only turn one click at a time, out came the nasty almost thirty year old broken spark plug. I think my neighbors heard some words they never heard before! lol. I put in a new spark plug and my car is good as new.

Picture below is my triumph, and master mechanic award. I am keeping it like that and getting a new number five easy out!!!

[This message has been edited by Robertzep2 (edited 11-24-2013).]

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I feel your pain!
1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

I feel your pain!

Yep, happens all the time on late model Ford modular V8's and that's how you get them out.

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96) I'll Sell it if you like
1985 GT 3800SC (swap in progress)

falcon_ca

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
everyone have its own recipe

------------------
"I'm not driving too fast, . . . I'm just flying too low."

Work done 07-08 | Work done 08-09 | Work done 09-10 | Work done 10-11 | Work done 11-12 | Work done 12-13 |Work done 13-14 | 4.9 Swap |Parts for sale

PFF
System Bot
MrRich

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2013 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MrRichSend a Private Message to MrRichEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is exactly what I was looking for!! I'm a visual thinker. I have to see it to get how it works.
Thank you
MrRich
MrRich

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2013 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MrRichSend a Private Message to MrRichEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MrRich

78 posts
Member since Jun 2008
One more question (there always is)
Did you use PB Blaster and heat or did you go right after it.
What did you do about the debris that was fell into the cylinder head.
Thanks again for your help.
MrRich
MrRich

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2013 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MrRichSend a Private Message to MrRichEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MrRich

78 posts
Member since Jun 2008
Oops!
(What did you do about the debris that was fell into the cylinder head.)
Sorry about the above sentence!!
It should have read ...."What did you do about the debris that fell into the cylinder head"
MR
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2013 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had better luck tapping in a TORX socket into the hole, it doesn't Expand the threads like an easy out. but you must use Blaster first.
MrRich

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2013 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MrRichSend a Private Message to MrRichEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
do you happen to know what size torx socket?

Thanks
MrR
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2013 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Robertzep2:

Looking at that picture, the remains of the threads on the end of the plug you removed are trashed. Just from that picture I would expect that the threads in the spark plug hole on the head were also damaged.
Robertzep2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2013 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robertzep2Send a Private Message to Robertzep2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:

Looking at that picture, the remains of the threads on the end of the plug you removed are trashed. Just from that picture I would expect that the threads in the spark plug hole on the head were also damaged.

Yeah, I thought so at first, but the new plug went right in no problems. Car started right up afterwards. Lucky, I guess.
MrRich

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2013 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MrRichSend a Private Message to MrRichEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Follow up:
I got the plug out!
With help from the Forum guys, PB Blaster and a #5 easy out!
Thanks again
MrRich
Robertzep2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2013 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robertzep2Send a Private Message to Robertzep2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations, MrRich! It is a great feeling of accomplishment! You definitely saved yourself some money too!
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2013 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think you would need to worry too much about debris. Tiny pieces should get blown out through the exhaust valves and pipes.

Jonathan
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock