Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Ceramic Disk Brake Pads - Anyone run them?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Ceramic Disk Brake Pads - Anyone run them? by Banshee
Started on: 11-22-2013 09:23 PM
Replies: 12 (1118 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 11-23-2013 09:35 AM
Banshee

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BansheeClick Here to visit Banshee's HomePageSend a Private Message to BansheeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is an eBay set. 350918580329
I've searched the internet and seen lots of likes and dislikes for ceramic but new brake pads on new cars seem to be ceramic.
FieroStore sells a combination of ceramic/metallic

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ceramic brake pads are popular on modern cars because they have good fade resistance, long wear and don't make a lot of dust. As a technology, they are mostly aimed at being low maintenance rather than having excellent performance characteristics. There is nothing wrong with them, per se, but they are a compromise. If you're interested more in performance, you're probably best off with a semi-metallic pad on a street car - and of course there are even more aggressive options for track performance. I have never heard of NTA or "Galaxy Series" brake pads so I'd personally stay the eff away from those, but Akebono makes a good ceramic pad, and I've had good luck with Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramics as well (be aware Thermoquiets come in both ceramic and semi-metallic). I always put the Akebonos on my dad's Saab, and next weekend I'll be putting the Wagners on my mother in law's PT Cruiser. Those are two good applications for ceramic pads.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unless you have other than stock rotors, stay as close to OEM pads as possible. Pads and rotors are a trade off on wear. A more agressive pad may give better braking but will wear down a stock rotor much quicker. A harder rotor might not allow a softer OEM pad to grip well enough and then you loose braking ability.
Banshee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BansheeClick Here to visit Banshee's HomePageSend a Private Message to BansheeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I looked at the FIeroStore and they promote a carbon/metallic model and say "The best replacement pads for your Fiero!"
Im not going to be Autocrossing the car just performance driving in a natural street habitat. I have new ones (plated/slotted/drilled) that I am going for the way they look standing still more than braking in corners at 100mph.

As far as the brand I cant say but I am sure they come from another plant where they pump out 50 other brands. I have seen that at a battery plant that had Firestone/Sears/Montgomery Wards batteries coming down in groups of 50 and even though the specs may have been different they came out of the same production facility.
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:
Unless you have other than stock rotors, stay as close to OEM pads as possible. Pads and rotors are a trade off on wear. A more agressive pad may give better braking but will wear down a stock rotor much quicker. A harder rotor might not allow a softer OEM pad to grip well enough and then you loose braking ability.

I don't think many are aware that brake rotor metal grade varies, imports like BMW, Mercedes and Volvo often show as much rotor wear as pad wear because of the grade of metal the rotors are made of which appears to be soft. Wagner offered a front rotor for the Fiero that was a little greater in diameter and a little more expensive but has been discontinued. I noticed the center bore in the front rotors I purchased is eccentric although not the bearing races, however, it makes me wonder how it can affect wheel balance.

I'm in the process of installing new rotors all the way around with new front pads and had to hold off on the repair today because the only quality pair NAPA had available (thermoquiet under their name) had one pad showing a small crack between the lining and the backing plate causing me to recall a few complaints about the pad material coming completely off the backing plate during a hard braking episode although Fiero owners have given them good overall performance reviews, so keep an eye open for this.

Installing new rear pads and greasing the caliper slides caused such an improvement in braking performance I decided to forgo any of the big rotor upgrades all together in favor of a fresh stock system. I'd love to have ceramics to combat brake dust but figured a better approach would be to thoroughly clean the wheels and do a good wax job on them to make the dust easier to remove.

[This message has been edited by Joseph Upson (edited 11-22-2013).]

Fiero_Fan_88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2013 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Assuming its a GT.
Wagner Thermo-Quiet Semi-Metallic.
Rear- MX262- $28.99
Front- MX261- $28.99

Only $8 more expensive than what your looking at, reputable brand, little to no complaints.
When working for a chain automotive retailer I've sold 100's for these, wouldn't recommend anything else for a DD.
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2013 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Fan_88:

Assuming its a GT.
Wagner Thermo-Quiet Semi-Metallic.
Rear- MX262- $28.99
Front- MX261- $28.99

Only $8 more expensive than what your looking at, reputable brand, little to no complaints.
When working for a chain automotive retailer I've sold 100's for these, wouldn't recommend anything else for a DD.

I'm not buying the cheap pads, NAPA offers several and the premium (SS) set I opted for is $50 although that's not what I'm paying for them, the Ultras are $70 but no one in town has them.
Fiero_Fan_88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2013 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joseph Upson:

I'm not buying the cheap pads, NAPA offers several and the premium (SS) set I opted for is $50 although that's not what I'm paying for them, the Ultras are $70 but no one in town has them.

Sorry meant for OP after seeing he was looking at cheaper pads.

If you want a premium pad why not go with something like an EBC YellowStuff or a HAWK Performance Street?

http://ebcbrakes.com/produc...reet-and-track-pads/

http://www.hawkperformance....formance/ceramic.php

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2013 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wagner Thermo-Quiet.

I love them. I have them on Fiero and our SUV.

I would not recommend you buy critical parts, like brake pads, off Ebay. Ebay has a huge problem of fake parts.

Rockauto
AZ
Advance auto
and others are allot more reliable to deal with.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2013 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Assuming its a GT.

Makes no difference whether its a GT or not........they are all the same. Except the 88 vs pre-88.....

Good advice on the pads.

Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2013 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry meant for OP after seeing he was looking at cheaper pads.

If you want a premium pad why not go with something like an EBC YellowStuff or a HAWK Performance Street?

http://ebcbrakes.com/produc...reet-and-track-pads/

http://www.hawkperformance....formance/ceramic.php

I did a little reading on the forum about pad options just before this thread came up and found that performance level pads either didn't last as long or required more heat to reap the benefits. Wagner got the highest vote except for a couple delamination complaints in extreme cold weather. No one had them though and the Safety Stops from NAPA are referred to as the equivalent by Raybestos. Summit has Bendix for the rear for future reference
PFF
System Bot
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2013 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm a firm believer in EBC brake pads. I have "Yellow stuff" on the fiero and "Green stuff" on my blazer. I will never buy parts store brakes again.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
10.91@133.1

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2013 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Wagner Thermo-Quiets on my GT with the Lebaron rotor upgrade.
Very happy with them (of course, these are bigger rotors, calipers and pads)

With the Indy, I wanted to keep it all stock parts, but I wanted MUCH better braking than stock.
I installed Porterfield RS-4 pads. http://www.porterfield-brakes.com

They completely got rid of that "YIKES! - running out of brake" feeling when doing a hard stop.
RS-4 compound info http://porterfield-brakes.c...8_11_06_02_45_30.pdf

PS - originally had Fiero Store Carbomet pads, but they were extremely dusty.
I think they got "cleaner" after break-in, but by then I had the Porterfields to install.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-23-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave