88 Suspension Parts Question by Madscanner
Started on: 11-22-2013 09:20 AM
Replies: 14 (637 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 03-16-2020 12:22 PM
Madscanner

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadscannerSend a Private Message to MadscannerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hiya

What is the proper name for the adjustable rods in the rear suspension on the 88s (number 44 in the image below)? I am in the process of getting the alignment on my Formula sorted, and apparently both are seized solid.

In advance, Thanks.

Paul

------------------

'88 Formula
'85 SE 2M6
'93 Eunos Roadster
'00 Fiesta Zetec S (for those days when I need more than 2 seats)

[This message has been edited by Madscanner (edited 11-22-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think they're called adjustable toe links. You can take them off and free them up using PB blaster and maybe some heat. I've done a few that way
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Edit> He edited the picture while I posted this....

What 22P says...
16. BOLT. HFH (MI2XI.75X65)(26.6 OD)9.8 POR 11508580
27. BOLT. HEX (M14X2X95)(37 THD)10.9 POR 11513135

9.8 is Class 9.8
10.9 is Class 10.9, about = to SAE Grade 8

Note that most all OE rubber have roll sheet metal as inner sleeve.

A sleeve with a seam.

Use some force if needed to rotate the seam so you can hit the seam w/ center punch.
Ever hit will open the seam a tiny bit and release corrosion.
Hit the seam on both sides.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-22-2013).]

Madscanner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadscannerSend a Private Message to MadscannerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone know if these are available new?
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They're called lateral links, and the one that's adjustable is either called the toe link or the adjustable lateral link. You can't get them from GM any longer but they can be bought either as a complete kit or you can build them up from parts you buy yourself. Arraut Motorsports sells complete kits to widen your rear track width, so they probably can supply you with the parts (two eyes, a threaded tube, and two bushings, per side) for stock-width applications. Here is what their products look like next to the OEM links:

The alternative is to source the threaded tubes from a company like AFCO. Summit or Jegs carry the AFCO product line and have every length tube you might need. I've never sourced the eyelets because I used hemispherical rod ends instead, but I'm sure if you do a little digging around, you'll find them as well as the bushings.

Madscanner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadscannerSend a Private Message to MadscannerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks - I've had a scan around - looks like there's nothing much available here, so will have to get parts from the States.

I've had a look around and have found part numbers (available from Rock Auto) for the bushings and the adjusters, but am having trouble finding part numbers for the actual link ends (which I may well have to replace, given the state they are in)...

It's the subframe bracket that's a bit more of a worry...

I guess I'll just have to keep looking, but it would be useful to know what other vehicles the same link ends were used on (if any, that is).

Paul

Madscanner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadscannerSend a Private Message to MadscannerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Madscanner

593 posts
Member since Dec 2004
[QUOTE]Originally posted by theogre:

Edit> He edited the picture while I posted this....

Ogre - sorry - I thought I should make it more clear.

Your info is useful anyway, as my garage will have to replace the nuts and bolts.

Thanks.
Iain

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IainSend a Private Message to IainEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I probably have a pair available, I'll have a look over the weekend. I'll most likely be making my own with poly mounts in the spring.

If you want to go the rod end route, then try McGill Motorsport, they do a range of adjustable toe links and they're super helpfull.
http://www.mcgillmotorsport.com/

or Springfix Linkages

http://www.rod-ends.co.uk/
Madscanner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadscannerSend a Private Message to MadscannerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Iain

Very helpful post!

All I have to do is find out what length and diameter I need. Simplest method would be to get a pair of new adjustor sleeves sent over, and then measure the internal diameter and thread pitch, and the overall length and then have a word with either supplier (or have my garage discuss it with them, as they are the experts). Alternatively, I can just go for the correct overall length, and buy x2 of their turnbuckles and x4 rod ends, and spacers...

Paul

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't forget you'll need left and right hand threaded eyelets since the tubes are threaded that way... they act like a turnbuckle and one of each type will be needed for each link.
Madscanner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadscannerSend a Private Message to MadscannerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

Don't forget you'll need left and right hand threaded eyelets since the tubes are threaded that way... they act like a turnbuckle and one of each type will be needed for each link.

Indeed - had thought about that, but Thanks for the reminder.

PFF
System Bot
Madscanner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2013 04:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadscannerSend a Private Message to MadscannerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Iain:

I probably have a pair available, I'll have a look over the weekend. I'll most likely be making my own with poly mounts in the spring.

It would be great if I could get your old ones, as it means I don't have to disassemble the Formula straight away. PM'd you.

Paul

Monstertone

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2020 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonstertoneSend a Private Message to MonstertoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Being an old post, I hope you've found a source for those parts by now. In the event you have not, suggest Rodney Dickman or The Fiero Store.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2020 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rod end lateral links are one of the best bangs you can get for a few bucks for improvements to the '88 rear suspension.

Here's FieroGuru's take on it:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../000123-11.html#p431
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2020 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a better link:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/120882.html
http://fieroguruperformance.com/?page_id=295

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 03-16-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay