I would like to upgrade my engine by FieroCad
Started on: 11-21-2013 06:49 PM
Replies: 13 (498 views)
Last post by: carbon on 11-26-2013 11:00 AM
FieroCad

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCadSend a Private Message to FieroCadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car currently has a 4.9 from a 95 or 96 cadillac..it is currently carburated..I want to uo the horsepower..can I use a later midel sts with 300hp..will it interchange with my 95 4.9 ? And also will my intake work so I dont need to go fuek injection.thanks for any thoughts...I do have access to a 2001 sts 300h.p. car..if it will fit and all I gotta do is swap out the intakes that would be great.. fc
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroCad:

My car currently has a 4.9 from a 95 or 96 cadillac..it is currently carburated..I want to uo the horsepower..can I use a later midel sts with 300hp..will it interchange with my 95 4.9 ? And also will my intake work so I dont need to go fuek injection.thanks for any thoughts...I do have access to a 2001 sts 300h.p. car..if it will fit and all I gotta do is swap out the intakes that would be great.. fc

It'll fit, but it won't be a direct swap. It would be a lot of work and very expensive. Might be cheaper to look at adding a 7-8 psi boost turbo since you're carburated
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 4.9 is a pushrod engine, the 300hp caddy V8 is a DOHC 4.6L engine (called the Northstar or N*). It has nothing in common with the 4.9 and no parts interchange between them. So to install it would be a complete new swap. Its been done, but it is quite a bit more work than the 4.9 swap.
FieroCad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCadSend a Private Message to FieroCadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The turbo option is it.....im posting an ad on the mall for a complete set-up. Dont know what im gettting into but if it has been done before thats all the motivation I need. Thanks...fc
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Superchargers have been done too...
FieroCad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCadSend a Private Message to FieroCadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
do they make a supercharger for that motor? 95/6 4.9?

[This message has been edited by FieroCad (edited 11-21-2013).]

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroCad:

The turbo option is it.....im posting an ad on the mall for a complete set-up. Dont know what im gettting into but if it has been done before thats all the motivation I need. Thanks...fc

There is no complete turbo setup for the 4.9. There is no supercharger made for the 4.9.

You are going to have to fab your own stuff for that engine. There is nothing that you can buy and bolt on unfortunately. I love it when people chime in and just say turbo it or supercharge it with nothing more about the actual work involved.

Supercharging the cadillac 4.9 with Allante intake and Gen V M90 supercharger

Caddy 4.9 Turbo in the making
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, I've got the carb'd 4.9 too.

It actually goes like stink, but if you want to boost it more, here are some issues.

1. You need to put in the Allante valve tree. It is steel and the aluminum one can crack if you are upping the rpm and power
2. The intake is a dual plane intake so it is actually good for a carb.
3. I have been told you can use 3800 roller rockers on it, but the engine doesn't need it.
4. The engine doesn't need much porting. Cadillac did a nice job inside that engine.
5. Adding either a turbo or sc is not cheap.

If I was not limited on budget, I'd be going to Edelbrock and getting one of their roots types and hooking up with the serpentine belt. On the carb'd engine you can mount your alternator low at the front, leaving room for a top mounted sc. I am not sure this is cheaper than replacing the engine with a North* If you already have a donor car with the ECM etc. it will be cheaper than buying a supercharger. The North* does put you back on EFI and all the "fun" of electronic motoring.

Arn

[This message has been edited by Arns85GT (edited 11-22-2013).]

FieroCad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCadSend a Private Message to FieroCadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the "roots" sorry for the stupid q just never heard of it before
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A roots supercharger has screw like rotors that spin to grab air from the top and push it around the outside wall and out the bottom... this is why the supercharger on the 3800 has that double humped look...

A centrifugal supercharger has an impeller pump like a turbo charger but instead of running off of exhaust gas with a turbine, there is a gear box and a pulley to spin up the compressor.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 11-22-2013).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

I love it when people chime in and just say turbo it or supercharge it with nothing more about the actual work involved.

...I posted it as a suggestion to show an option, not as an essay into the procedure. The research comes after that...
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the northern PFF members turbocharged his 4.9 and might be a source of information for you to consider tapping. The member uses PBJ as his PFF handle so you may want to do a search on him and/or the turbo 4.9 work. The below indicated thread could be useful.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089092.html

Nelson
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2013 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Search HER86GT That was PBJ's build name. The turbo'd 4.9 used a chip made by Rockcrawl, and was known to turn 11's

Hope this helps

Arn
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2013 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

Search HER86GT That was PBJ's build name. The turbo'd 4.9 used a chip made by Rockcrawl, and was known to turn 11's

Hope this helps

Arn

Or you could note the fact that I already posted the link to the build thread of Her86GT's turbo 4.9 above...

Originally posted by hnthomps:

One of the northern PFF members turbocharged his 4.9 and might be a source of information for you to consider tapping. The member uses PBJ as his PFF handle so you may want to do a search on him and/or the turbo 4.9 work. The below indicated thread could be useful.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089092.html

Nelson

That is a 3800 thread...

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 11-26-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay