88 2.5 DIS plug wire question by DLCLK87GT
Started on: 11-19-2013 05:09 PM
Replies: 7 (158 views)
Last post by: DLCLK87GT on 11-19-2013 08:58 PM
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2013 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hate to ask twice but I want to go put these on but am not sure they are correct. Why is one smaller than the rest?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2013 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you just recently buy the car? The previous owner probably just put on some mix-n-match plug wires.

Just be happy they didn't replace the plug wires with pieces of residential (solid core) wire. The PO of my Fiero did that.
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2013 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These are the new one I just picked up at Pep Boys ( I hate PB) and coincidently the ones on the car are the same, 3 regular 1 "special" . I looked in the owners and service manual and didn't find anything other than they should be 8mm, these are 7mm.

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 11-19-2013).]

cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2013 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not just Fieros. A few of the 2.5s had a different spark plug boot for cylinder number 1. This was due to an alternator or other bracket on many 2.5s that would interfere with the boot and rub a hole in it or cause it to arc. However most of the time they were angled.
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2013 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 88 2.5 has 7mm wires with 4 identical plug boots. The engine only has 60K miles so I suspect they are the original wires....but could be wrong.

EDIT: not sure where any of the boots would rub??

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 11-19-2013).]

cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2013 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A lot of parts vendors sell wires that fit many different cars with the same engine. Most are not model specific.

[This message has been edited by cmechmann (edited 11-19-2013).]

Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2013 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cmechmann:

A lot of parts vendors sell wires that fit many different cars with the same engine. Most are not model specific.

You're right...misread the previous post. Thought it implied the Fiero 2.5 had something that would rub.
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2013 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was able to get another set from Car Quest and it's got all the same boots. Still 7mm but at least the boots are correct. I'll put them on tomorrow and see what happens. Hopefully this will fix my problem but it sure doesn't want to run. can't get it to start and run for more than a few seconds and it sounds terrible. First try it wanted to, sounded ok but just didn't get going. second and third attempt and it sputters, sort of a weak backfire and dies all in about 2 seconds. I think it may be more than bad wires.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock