Another 4X6 speaker thread by Super Duty Critter
Started on: 11-19-2013 09:37 AM
Replies: 9 (579 views)
Last post by: Super Duty Critter on 11-21-2013 11:07 PM
Super Duty Critter

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2013 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Super Duty CritterClick Here to visit Super Duty Critter's HomePageSend a Private Message to Super Duty CritterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been searching like crazy and here's what I think I know. The limitation on the 4X6 speakers is the depth. What I can't find is how much top/bottom mount depth is acceptable. Is it 1.75 inches top mount? Is there any current speakers that will fit? Crutchfield says no. I'm looking to keep it under $100 for the pair if I can. Suggestions? HELP!

Kinda like to do it today so something likely to be at Best Buy, etc. would be cool.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2013 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am using Boston Acoustic 4 x 6 speakers in two vehicle B pillars (Meras) and am quite happy with the sound and installation process. They fit with little or no mods and have been in service for about six years.

Nelson
Super Duty Critter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2013 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Super Duty CritterClick Here to visit Super Duty Critter's HomePageSend a Private Message to Super Duty CritterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
None of those available locally. But I found some Polk DSi46 speakers that fit like a glove.
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-20-2013 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+1 on Polk Audio 4x6 plates.
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2013 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have pioneer's 4x6 fitted with no probs

jon
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2013 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jon m:

I have pioneer's 4x6 fitted with no probs

jon

Me too. Both my 87 and 88 had the dash speakers replace with some Pioneers years ago and no issues on fitament. Finding them is hard as I was told they were being discontinued went I bought my last set maybe 11 or 12 years ago.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2013 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced my rear speakers with a pair of decent replacement style speakers.

I could get a little bit more depth than the stock speaker... the BOSS speakers that I used pretty much maxed out. They actually touched the rear wall just a hair so I installed a speaker baffle which cushioned the speakers from the wall, and actually helped bring forward the speaker bracket by 1/16th of an inch. The mounting depth was 1" and 11/16ths of an inch.

Super Duty Critter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2013 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Super Duty CritterClick Here to visit Super Duty Critter's HomePageSend a Private Message to Super Duty CritterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the 5.25 inch speakers up front using the template posted in these forums.

I worked out the wiring tonight. The car sounds pretty decent now. I'd like to ad a sub a little later but the front speakers are not bad on the bass.

I absolutely hated the Scoshe mounting kit. Throwing that plastic crap out. I'll build my own mounting system.
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

Me too. Both my 87 and 88 had the dash speakers replace with some Pioneers years ago and no issues on fitament. Finding them is hard as I was told they were being discontinued went I bought my last set maybe 11 or 12 years ago.

I have performance techniques 4x10 in the dash - I took tntcary's advice and I am not disappointed at all good price and good sound.

jon
Super Duty Critter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Super Duty CritterClick Here to visit Super Duty Critter's HomePageSend a Private Message to Super Duty CritterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finished up the install tonight. Ipaired my phone via bluetooth and everything works great. Sounds pretty decent for a cheap install. I have about $350 in the speakers and Sony head unit. Having the hands free for my phone is the biggest advantage. I ended up using the Scoshe install kit for now. It sucks but I had to wrap it up and get my wife's car back in the garage. I WILL be removing that junk and building my own as soon as time permits.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock