Need advice on replacing the front crankshaft seal on my 88GT by Carrolles
Started on: 11-17-2013 10:32 PM
Replies: 9 (251 views)
Last post by: Carrolles on 11-26-2013 12:34 PM
Carrolles

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesClick Here to Email CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently dropped the cradle on my 88GT to replace the differential bearings on the getrag. Everything went well.

When I dropped the cradle I took it outside, used oven cleaner and pressure washed everything before removing the engine and trans.

While the engine was on the stand I:
-replaced water pump
-ported and painted all three intake manifolds
-ported both exhaust manifolds
-replaced fuel filter and o-rings
-replaced fuel injector o-rings (all seven sets)
-converted A/C to R-134 (replaced dryer, exp. tube, and most o-rings)
-painted valve covers
-cleaned everything I removed from the engine and trans
-replaced engine mount and both trans mounts
-new plugs and ignition parts
-new clutch set

Once I got it back together I set the timing and it runs fantastic. Starts on the first tweak of the ignition switch. Get's 28.5 mpg on my 150 mile daily commute.

I do notice a steady drip of oil from behind the harmonic balancer. This leak was probably there before I dropped the cradle as evidenced by the soggy, deteriorated front engine mount.

I put it up on jack stands, removed the RR wheel, fender liner, and splash curtain. I sprayed down the area with brake clean and blew it off with compressed air.

I start it up and as it starts to warm up I can see a drip from behind the harmonic balancer. I can't tell yet if it is from the seal or maybe from the oil pan gasket.

I've searched the forum (active and archives) and Google for details on replacing the front main crankshaft seal but only find references to replacing the rear main seal.

If I confirm that it is coming from the seal what needs to be removed in order to replace the seal with the engine still in the car? I've replaced the timing chain cover gasket on my 85SE V-6 before with the engine in the car with no problems.

Do I need to remove:

-belts and crank pulley
-harmonic balancer
-water pump and timing chain cover
-oil pan

Is it a one piece seal that is pressed in around the crankshaft?

I need to nose around underneath some more and take a closer look behind the harmonic balancer with my inspection camera to see exactly where the drip is coming from.

How do I replace the oil pan gasket if it is needed?

Thanks,
Carroll

[This message has been edited by Carrolles (edited 11-17-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 452
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2013 06:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The crank seal is pressed in to the timing cover.
You need to remove the belts, pulley and harmonic damper.
There is a removal tool available that will allow you to lever the seal out.
The new seal is driven in, similar to an axle seal.

There may be a groove worn in the harmonic damper. There are sleeves available to "repair" that groove. (Have to be heated and slid on.)

The pan seal is a single piece of rubber. The entire pan will have to be dropped.
You will probably have to raise the engine and remove the mounting bracket from under the pulley.

You do not have to remove the timing cover or water pump to do either of these.
Carrolles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2013 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesClick Here to Email CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's great news. Once I verify that the leak is coming from the seal I may just replace the harmonic balancer as well.

Thanks,
Carroll
Carrolles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2013 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesClick Here to Email CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TTT
Carrolles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2013 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesClick Here to Email CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Online I found some repair sleeves that are simply driven on with a supplied too. A friend of mine has used them in teh past on SBC engines without problems.

Has anyone used these with good results?
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2013 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageClick Here to Email BlacktreeSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you still have the original harmonic balancer, it may be a good idea to replace it anyway. Age, combined with the oil soaking it, will shorten its usable lifespan. Just a thought.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 446
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2013 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A good "how to" thread HERE.
Carrolles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2013 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesClick Here to Email CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2013 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerClick Here to Email BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Carrolles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2013 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesClick Here to Email CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock