Which is best clutch for 2.8l V6? by fiero5150
Started on: 11-17-2013 09:00 PM
Replies: 22 (1278 views)
Last post by: Kevin87FieroGT on 11-25-2013 10:09 PM
fiero5150

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero5150Send a Private Message to fiero5150Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My stock 1988 GT 2.8L V6 has a bad clutch and needs replacing. What brand or type should I replace it with? The car is used for street use only. Which will be the best choice for my car? There seems to be numerous products and vendors. Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pontiacfierokid1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stock is fine if ur not doing crazy racing or highly modded 3800 just keep the stock replacement
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

From an earlier thread...

Originally posted by Patrick:

Have you checked RockAuto online?

I bought a LUK clutch "kit" (clutch disc, pressure plate, throw-out bearing) for a grand total of $70 (plus a modest shipping fee) for my '88 Formula (5-spd Getrag). Works just fine.

It's been four months now... and with a resurfaced flywheel, the new clutch works great.
Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put a Spec stage 2 clutch in mine. They are a lot more expensive, but I autocross it as well. If you just do normal street driving, a stock replacement would probably be fine.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2013 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero Store has 4 levels of clutch for the V6.

1. stock $
2. HD $$
3. larger disk HD $$$
4. Kevlar $$$$

You hate to be sorry after installation expense, so it's a money thing.

Don't get #4, not for street use.
I can recommend #3, it's in my car
I suspect #2 and #1 are great for street use also, but I have not driven them.

http://www.fierostore.com/Product/Search.aspx?p=1

fiero5150

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2013 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero5150Send a Private Message to fiero5150Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all your responses. I'll take a look at the suggestions that were made.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2013 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the Fiero Store #2 installed on my 87 GT. Works fine for general driving and a car with 145K+ miles (still stock and untouched) I don't do performance driving any more. I had the flywheel resurfaced. Hard to find those flywheels as most parts catalogs list the 88 neutral balanced flywheel and not the balanced flywheel needed for the pre 88s.
KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2013 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just have a cheap Federated Autoparts clutch in my 4 speed 3400 swap. I have never had it slip, even with abuse.
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2013 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the Sachs clutch kit on my 3500 swap / Getrag from Rockauto with no issues.

I previously had a Perfection clutch kit on my stock 2.8 from Advance which also worked fine for the 10,000 miles it was used for.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2013 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have two I took off my 2.8 and my 4.9. The first one has about 20K on it and it is a Bully sintered iron clutch. It is in good shape

My second is a Centerforce II which has about 1K on it. It is a 290 ft lb which couldn't hold my 4.9 but it is in good shape and did not get abused.

I replaced it with the Spec II + which is rated at 417 ft lbs.

Either of my old ones can be had if you want one. Feel free to make an offer.

Arn

[This message has been edited by Arns85GT (edited 11-19-2013).]

fiero5150

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2013 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero5150Send a Private Message to fiero5150Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Arn, thanks for offering your clutch parts. I also had the Valeo Clutch kit recommended. It is an upgrade from the stock clutch. JC Whitney sells it for $125. I haven't decided which one yet, but now I have some good choices.
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're keeping it stock there is no need for the Spec or anything like that, I've always read good things about the ram clutch from fiero store... Just watch um.... you might wake up to find you don't have an ass from there shipping charges.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buying local normally saves shipping and you have a local contact for warranty.

Arn
daveg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davegSend a Private Message to davegEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also had a Centerforce clutch that couldn't hold. Replaced with a Ram clutch and it works great.

Daveg
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2013 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got this in my 4.9 car.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ram-88644hd

It's the largest organic (i.e. stock material) disk that I could find.
It's designed as a replacement for your clutch. (Click the "check application" link in the middle right of the page. Your car is listed.)

This is the same kit that the Fiero Store sells for $20 more. ($279 vs $299.)

If you don't want to go to the extra expense, a LUK clutch will work just fine. I know several people who have them and are quite happy.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How does the driveability of the larger (larger disc, HD, #3 above) FS, or Summit "Ram" clutch match the stock 2.8L Getrag clutch? Of course using the 2.8L engine.

I have the pretty much the same need as the original poster. Don't really want to double foot or leg the clutch pedal. Looking for great driveability for normal street use with long life and ocassional spirited runs. Also with the thought that there could be a 3.4 or 3800 in the future if the 2.8 fails me.

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 11-24-2013).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2013 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put that clutch in my Formula. The old clutch was badly worn when I bought the car, so I can't compare it to the stock clutch, but the Ram HD 9 3/4" does not need a lot of leg pressure and I can't make it slip with the 2.8.
Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2013 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. Was hoping Ram would not up the spring pressure, but only add surface to the disc. Thus leaving the peddle feel stock, really pretty easy on the foot.

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post11-25-2013 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a heavy duty clutch pressure plate ass,y if you are older avoid this as My leg is in pain from this
the Ram is a great performance clutch that will not be difficult to push in
the stock clutches last a long time & work great,right now I have a LUC driven plate
with a heavy duty pressure ,,the heavy duty pressure plates are rare now ,but avoid them
there have been advances in pressure plate cover assemblies,, use the lightest one!!
a heavy duty pressure plate hurts performance because of weight
thru the lighter pressure plate unit, brake rotors & lite wheels & tires you can improve launch time & 0 to 30 time
& save gas ..

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 11-25-2013).]

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post11-25-2013 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

uhlanstan

6446 posts
Member since Apr 2007
Forgot
when installing a new clutch remove consul & clean & ajust ,,always clean & lube the shift bellcrank that the shifter rotates on & ajust the mechanism.. then ajust the cables where they bolt on..
when properly ajusted the clutch works great & smooooooth.
every Fiero should have the double seal clutch slave piston see= Rodney Dickman
Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2013 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what I've seen on the Ram site it looks as though the HD 9 3/4" clutch kit comes with a standard pressure plate. I might be wrong, any help on this is appreciated.

My left knee and ankle work great today, not interested in visiting a othopede after a clutch job.
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2013 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can see tons of pics of my clutch installation at this link.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-1-085296.html

It's the HTOB Getrag from a 92(?) Beretta, on a 4.9.

Sorry. There are no pics of the face of the pressure plate.

Note...
The Fiero Store advertises this clutch as 9 3/4.
Ram describes it as 9 1/8.
It is neither. It is 9 5/8, measured.
Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2013 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Note...
The Fiero Store advertises this clutch as 9 3/4.
Ram describes it as 9 1/8.
It is neither. It is 9 5/8, measured.[/QUOTE]

Figures. No one opened the box to check.

Thanks Radar. That clutch disc sure looks to have some grip

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 11-25-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock