Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  A few questions before I pull the trigger.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
A few questions before I pull the trigger. by Threedog
Started on: 11-17-2013 10:28 AM
Replies: 10 (323 views)
Last post by: tjthorson on 11-18-2013 04:42 PM
Threedog

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found a nice 86 SE with a good body for $1000, looks like a great start to my project but I have a few questions. My goal is a 3800 5 speed fastback, currently the car has none of these.

I am gonna want to get a new transmission anyway with the 3800, is it that difficult/expensive to put a clutch pedal/lines/cylinders in there(currently an Auto)?

Down the road(next few years) I am gonna want to convert it to a fastback, I know it is possible but is it worth it?

I have the time over the summer to change this into a car that I want, but should I just wait for a stickshift fastback and pay a little extra for it? or is it not much different to do the work myself?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hdryder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have converted a notchback to fastback, which was fairly easy because I had a complete '87 GT parts car for a donor.
I have never converted an auto. trans to manual trans. I know it can be done, but it would seem to be a pain unless you had a complete parts car for a donor.

If it was me, I would keep looking for a good solid rust free manual trans. GT, that needs a motor, to use as your project car.

[This message has been edited by hdryder (edited 11-17-2013).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's been a few guys who thought it would be cheaper to make a 4-cylinder automatic Coupe
into the V6 5-speed GT that they wanted buy (but cost $1500 more) in the first place. Not!

Everything costs money. Don't forget the time and work to do the conversions and with a GT body swap - new paint!!
Even if you got everything "free" - converting the body and transmission is a hassle. (did an auto to manual in my Indy)

Doing the 3800 S/C engine swap is complicated enough. I'd say find a GT 5-speed to start with.

http://www.easyautosales.co...ero-GT-98775574.html
http://claz.org/classifieds...cles/cars?q=fiero+gt

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-17-2013).]

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with fiero sound. Unless you have a written off 87 GT 5spd parts car that you got for free.. The parts will cost you more than just investing in the right project car.

------------------

BlackEmrald

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
X2. Just wait for the right car or you will end up regretting the purchase. Ask me how I know
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lets make it "unanimous" ! Get a different car (fastback/5 speed) to start with.
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
100% unanimous. And I will take it one step further....find yourself a southern car. You are unlikely to find a rust free car in Michigan in that price range. Watch for rust in the trunk corners under the carpet, and on the frame rails behind the struts. It is far cheaper to get a rust free car than to repair rust.
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2013 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It will be harder to find but well worth it in the end.

Only way I would do a auto to manual swap is if the car was already engine swapped or had a very important meaning not to.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2013 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:
100% unanimous. And I will take it one step further....find yourself a southern car. You are unlikely to find a rust free car in Michigan in that price range. Watch for rust in the trunk corners under the carpet, and on the frame rails behind the struts. It is far cheaper to get a rust free car than to repair rust.

Yup... Fiero Body can look prefect but frame can have major rust problems.
Trunk, floor, frame rail (some are hidden under body) all can be rust targets.

Some here have patches to fix rust but many will fail in long run because rust will eat other sections, the patch jobs, etc.

Be very careful on buying any car more then ~10 years old or more in states w/ high road salt in winter.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Threedog

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2013 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welp, good thing that I have all winter and spring to find one!

Thanks guys, I'll keep my eye out.
tjthorson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2013 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjthorsonClick Here to visit tjthorson's HomePageSend a Private Message to tjthorsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Threedog:

Welp, good thing that I have all winter and spring to find one!

Thanks guys, I'll keep my eye out.

Not sure how set you are on the fastback thing - but I do have an 85Gt that I will be selling over the winter as soon as I get motivated to put it all back together. I was chasing some bugs and ended up replacing the ECM, steering column, ignition switch and other parts. Its an 85GT from somewhere down south - very little rust, trunk corners are clean, so is the frame. link to pics below. Its not $1000 - but I can let it go for $1600. It has new tires, new brakes, shocks, and the other parts I mentioned. No body damage - paint is baked (of course). Running and driving 4 speed car. Im in the suburbs of Chicago, near I-294/I-290/I-88 all meet if you are looking on a map. Let me know if you are interested and Ill get motivated to put the parts back together. Its just the console and other interior parts when I was chasing what I thought was an electrical problem - turned out to be a bad coil (grrr). All the interior aftermarket gauges work and are hooked up.

Browse to "current vehicles" - then to "85 GT"
http://toddsplace.homeserver.com/vehicles

------------------
Todd Thorson
Current Fiero - NONE!
http://www.toddsplace.com

[This message has been edited by tjthorson (edited 11-18-2013).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)