Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  I bought my first Fiero today! With pictures...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
I bought my first Fiero today! With pictures... by dhen
Started on: 11-16-2013 09:00 PM
Replies: 4 (238 views)
Last post by: katatak on 11-17-2013 12:36 AM
dhen

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dhenSend a Private Message to dhenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's an '85. It had the 4-cylinder engine and an automatic. I plan on putting a manual in and a 3800 SC engine.

I think I'm the only person that likes this body style better than the GT, so no worries there. It has a little surface rust here and there, but nothing that concerns me. The spread of rust in south Texas is something akin to spotting Bigfoot, so I'm not concerned.

I got the car for $600 + a used transmission. The guy threw in a 5-speed transmission that was on a 4-cylinder that he got from Pick N Pull and the manual cables. I tried bolting it up to a 3800 NA block I have and was happy to see that the bolt pattern was the same. I thought that was only for the 6-cylinder transmissions.

Anyway, I have a few questions:

1) Can you tell if this transmission is the Izuzu or the Getrag? Will it take the SC power? I was going to go F23, but since this is free, I'd like to use it until it breaks.

I wasn't able to bolt the tranny down completely. Are the clutches for the Fiero and Firebird different spline counts or am I doing something wrong?

2) These were in the car. Are they Fiero parts? I think they are.

3) He said the CV axles for the manual and auto are different. Is this true?

4) I've got a lot of other questions that I know have been asked before and I don't want to bug people. Does anyone know of a book that explains how to modify these cars?

Thank you very much. I'm really excited about this project.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks like the pedal assembly from a manual Fiero, plus the clutch master cylinder. The Fiero Store sells stronger clutch pedals and master cylinders with straight rods.
FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the SE body style. I have an 84 SE auto with a 2.5L, Im rebuilding a 2.8L out of a 86 Fiero GT.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of people prefer the fastback look; my ownership preference is the notchback style; '84 SE; '86 coupe & '88 Formula; no lower 'add-on trim panels'; manual trans. I just swapped an '87 2.5L into the '86 to replace a rattling engine on life support...
Keep us posted on your progress & enjoy your project!

Try the search function - you'll find lots of info here on PFF.

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 11-16-2013).]

katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll answer a few of your questions:

Does the trans have a "steel" plate on the end of it? If it does, its a Getrag - if not, it's the Isuzu. I believe that there are folks out there that have used the Isuzu mated to the 3800SC with little problems - of course it depends on how much power you plan on making.

Yes - the auto axles are different than the manual axles.

I love the Bumper Pad Notichie. My favorite Fiero was an 86 with a SBC / 4 Spd. It was a blast to drive!

Good Luck!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock