oil sender electrical issue by maybenot
Started on: 11-13-2013 06:34 PM
Replies: 4 (125 views)
Last post by: lordbg0205 on 11-16-2013 07:41 AM
maybenot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hi guys,
so a little while ago i replaced my oil sender,actually i upgraded to 87/88 style and re-wired the new plug for it.(thank you ogre's cave for the how-to).
for about a week now intermittently, the fuel pump stays running when i turn car off. i found by wiggling the new sender's plug it would turn off.
i thought i might have a bad connection. i started over and re-soldered all 3 wires. still the pump runs after shutting off engine. today, my oil guage pegged right, and after turning off car, the pump kept running and would not shut off until i removed the plug. once the engine was cool, i reconnect,but by jiggling harness( not wires) i can make the pump run.
is this just a bad socket, or a symptom of a bad relay,bad sender or something else? and why did oil guage peg right? it still wont come back to normal.
johnny
85 v6
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Likely bad sender.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

maybenot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
great, another call to rock auto, i think i may have to shorten my relationship with them.
thanks for your input and how to on the swap.
maybenot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just so everyone is aware, when you replace/upgrade your oil sender with an 87/88 one, you are voiding the warranty on the sender.
according to rock auto-"The parts the you ordered are not intended for application on a 1985 Fiero. If parts are not installed on an application intended by the manufacturer, unfortunately the parts would not be covered under warranty."
just be aware. off to buy another one.
lordbg0205

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lordbg0205Send a Private Message to lordbg0205Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the same problem myself, gp sorenson sensor, and a standard pigtail for the wiring. I swapped in an 88 sensor on my 87 gt. Well someone forgot to tell standard that they suck and should make the connector water resistant. Water ran down the wires and pooled in the sensor causing the fuel pump to stay running and eventually shorted the sensor out making it read wide open, all the way right. My flashlight con firmed this when I shined it down the wires with the connector unplugged, I saw light, lots of it. Standard doesn't install insulators on the wires inside the connector. Ordered a new sensor and a new pigtail from chevrolet (pigtail 40) a bit pricey but the right part is invaluable. Good luck.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock