Gasket or silicone by newfiejeff
Started on: 11-12-2013 05:31 PM
Replies: 4 (332 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 11-13-2013 01:49 PM
newfiejeff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1986 2m4
Just bought a rocker cover(top pan) cork gasket and it is the wrong one, I waited 3 weeks for that one. Can I use silicone or should I use a gasket?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You'll get people that will tell you that gasket is the way to go, and RTV, and both. Any one of the three will work if it's done right. Personally I've always used a gasket with a small amount of RTV and never had a leak. Depends on what you're comfortable with.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like he said, its personal preference. Just dont over torque the bolts. As tight as you can get them wont work. Newer cars use RTV everywhere. I dont know if there are any gaskets on my Sebring except the head gasket. I never found one yet.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've always found that cork gaskets and RTV are a bad combination. The RTV makes the gasket slick and it gets squeezed out from between the faces of the joint.
Last time I did my oil pan I used some black rtv like stuff, forget the exact name though, something like permaseal maybe. Seems pretty good.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
for the 4 cyl, I found that use of permatex high tack sealant and a cork gasket worked best. The cork gasket had a metal center and was made by Victor Reinz. Anything else would leak over time. Also, make sure your valve cover is flat (mounting points) and let the sealant cure before starting the engine.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock