Normal Oil Pressure by fiero5150
Started on: 11-08-2013 06:44 PM
Replies: 5 (1839 views)
Last post by: Fiero84Freak on 11-09-2013 12:40 PM
fiero5150

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero5150Send a Private Message to fiero5150Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have 1988 GT with the original stock 2.8L V6. When I first start it, the oil pressure reads around 60 lbs. Once it is warm and running it reads around 35 lbs. When I stop for a traffic light, it drops to about 20 lbs. while idling. When I resume driving it settles in around 35 lbs. Is this about normal? What is the normal oil pressure operating range while driving?

The car runs fine and the engine does not smoke, rattle or make any weird noises. I do notice a general loss of power when starting out and when climbing slight inclines. I changed the oil and the oil, fuel and air filters, as well as the PVC valve. The car still has the original catalytic converter .
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rcm

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcmSend a Private Message to rcmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That sounds about right.Mine runs 65 lbs cold and 38 to 40 lbs while driving.Idle is 25 or so.
fiero5150

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero5150Send a Private Message to fiero5150Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh, great. That sounds good. I was worried that I had yet another little problem to address. Just when I get a little frustrated with the car, someone will see me drive by and give me a big thumbs up. That puts a little spring in my step, like a proud papa!
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero5150:

Oh, great. That sounds good. I was worried that I had yet another little problem to address. Just when I get a little frustrated with the car, someone will see me drive by and give me a big thumbs up. That puts a little spring in my step, like a proud papa!

oil thins as you drive, engine warms up that's why you are getting the readings you are getting and nothing unusual. I think I read in one of the factory manuals that reading as low as 2 lbs. is nothing to worry about at idle, if they get that low I do worry but that's me and acceptable my the manufacturer anyway back in the 80s anyway.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
V6, VIN-9, 30-45 PSIG

Sorry, low pressure when idle is trouble. You will get lower and lower pressure at idle.

You need a mech gauge to check because dash gauge can lie.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A mechanical gauge hooked up to where the oil pressure sensor attaches will give you pretty accurate readings. You can't go off of the stock Fiero gauges because they are notoriously inaccurate to the point of being no help at all in most cases.

reduced oil pressure at warm idle is pretty normal. What you have to worry about is if you notice a drop in oil pressure while at speed. It's usually followed by kissing your current engine goodbye.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock