Reman Cylinder Heads by smmilke
Started on: 11-08-2013 12:55 PM
Replies: 7 (258 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 11-13-2013 05:48 AM
smmilke

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smmilkeSend a Private Message to smmilkeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While trying to get a broken exhaust bolt out of my head with an easy out I put a crack from the exhaust manifold face and the head bolt machined face. I've debated whether to pay to have the head welded and resurfaced or just to buy a reman. I'm leaning towards a reman, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding on that's compatible and not outrageously expensive. In some thread searches I've read that a reman head can be found for $150, but where??? I have and '84, vin R, and I'm not sure which other heads are compatible without getting new rockers/lifters/manifolds. Can you guys point me in the right direction of a list of compatible heads and places to buy?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did something similar a while back, post in the mall, there will be plenty of people willing to sell you a decent head. Heck I have one although it is dirty and probably needs new valve guides. I got two machined heads with new valves from the mall for 150 bucks.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may want to get a price to have it fixed. I had a stud welded in place on my V6 head. They didn't have a problem fixing it. I think it ran something like $35.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by smmilke:

While trying to get a broken exhaust bolt out of my head with an easy out I put a crack from the exhaust manifold face and the head bolt machined face. I've debated whether to pay to have the head welded and resurfaced or just to buy a reman. I'm leaning towards a reman, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding on that's compatible and not outrageously expensive. In some thread searches I've read that a reman head can be found for $150, but where??? I have and '84, vin R, and I'm not sure which other heads are compatible without getting new rockers/lifters/manifolds. Can you guys point me in the right direction of a list of compatible heads and places to buy?

Yeah, I did something like this too... when you get the new head (if you do), MAKE SURE you burp the coolant properly. Those heads crack SO easily.

For what it's worth... if you want to just get a whole new replacement long-block, you can get one from a 1985-1986 model year car. Everything will bolt up as it should for your 84, but you'll have the benefit of a roller cam and roller lifters. The motor runs a bit more smoothly. The 84s and some 85s really sound like diesel engines. The mid-85-86 years are noticeably smoother.
smmilke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smmilkeSend a Private Message to smmilkeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can someone clear up which castings and vins are compatible? I have a 373 casting, vin R but I'm not certain which other heads are compatible with the manifolds and valve train components I have.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Located in Surrey, B.C. – just south of you.
http://www.headsunlimited.com/services.htm

Head you want in their catalog is # HUR67GM
Call their toll-free number for pricing.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
JUST south of you.... by 2,157 miles.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 05:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

JUST south of you.... by 2,157 miles.

Closer than getting one from Florida...

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-13-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay