Temp gauge issue on 88GT by Carrolles
Started on: 11-07-2013 01:16 PM
Replies: 2 (148 views)
Last post by: Carrolles on 11-08-2013 01:04 PM
Carrolles

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally got around to reinstalling the temp gauge needle on my 88GT.

The only way I could figure to gain access to the gauge face was to completely remove the instrument cluster pod and then remove the instrument cluster from from the pod to gain access to the top screws of the clear plastic cluster face.

I plugged the cluster back in and using Rodney's temp gauge calibration pigtail I set the needle at 100 deg F with the one wire connected. I then switched to the other wire and it correctly showed the other reading (I think it was 260 or so, can't remember offhand).

With the key off the needle rests at the left edge of the gauge below 100. When I turn the key and get bulb check the needle snaps to around 105 deg F position. As the engine warms up the needle stays at the same 105 mark until I turn off the key and it returns to the left edge of the gauge.

I had replaced the plug at the sender. Could it be that I possibly got the wires crisscrossed in the plug? Is there a way to check the sending unit to see if it is putting out the correct resistance?

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Swap the wires at the sender, you prolly have them flipped around.

Hywel
Carrolles

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found the problem. The connector was not plugged into the sensor. I likely forgot to securely connect it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock