Main Bearings Undersize? by smmilke
Started on: 11-07-2013 01:01 AM
Replies: 10 (239 views)
Last post by: Bloozberry on 11-08-2013 07:58 AM
smmilke

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smmilkeSend a Private Message to smmilkeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ordered a rebuild kit assuming my 2.5 had never been rebuilt, now I am not entirely sure. I pulled one of the main bearings out and it has an A stamped on it, as does the inner part of the main bearing cap. The A is stamped in a circle and not directly on the tang of the bearing, and has GM 4 stamped right after it. The manual says an A marking would be .0005 undersize, but I am not sure if that is what this mark is meant to indicate. With a pair of calipers the new bearings measure about a thousandth thicker than the old ones. Here are some pics, let me know what you think.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it were previously rebuilt, then the undersized bearings would be in increments of 0.010", that's 20 times the 0.0005" you mentioned.
TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the crank was cut, meaning the engine was rebuilt, the bearings would be OVERSIZE, not undersize. It was often done on the assembly line, mixing and matching bearings. The same was done for pistons, they were sorted by diameter and selected to match the bores to correct any machining variances. You really need a more accurate tool than a dial caliper to measure bearing diameter and journal diameters, even a good caliper does not have the resolution to measure under 0.001". You need to install the bearing and torque the main cap and measure the ID with a bore gauge or inside micrometer and measure the journal OD with a micrometer. Both mics should be capable of measuring to 0.0001" for best results. You subtract the OD from the ID to get the clearance.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Undersize is the correct term. It refers to the crank journal size, not the bearing itself.

When rebuilding any engine, it's best to wait until it's apart and fully inspected before you order a kit. You never know what you'll find in there. You'll probably end up having the crank ground to the next undersize, anyway.
smmilke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smmilkeSend a Private Message to smmilkeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The motor is still in the car and I'm not going to pull the crank. I wasn't even planning on replacing the mains, but the kit could only be bought with them so I just ordered them in standard size. According to the manual there is a .0005 undersize option. Can anyone confirm whether or not the A in a circle marking means this is a non-standard size bearing?
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't provide you with a definitive answer, however I wanted to point out that the "A" on the bearing cap appears to have simply transferred from the bearing to the cap just as the part number did. You can tell the part number on the cap is just a stain because the numbers are mirror images of the ones on the bearing shell so the "A" is likely the same.

Out of curiosity, where did you find the information regarding the letter A representing an undersized bearing? I looked in the 22P and see there are three kits for 0.001" undersized bearings but there is no mention of any special markings other than different part numbers... none of which match the one on the bearing in your picture.
smmilke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smmilkeSend a Private Message to smmilkeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a good catch on the reverse lettering, I hadn't noticed. I've got an original service manual. You can see the part about different size bearings in the upper right corner.

[This message has been edited by smmilke (edited 11-07-2013).]

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmmm... I see... if I were a betting man, I would say that bearing is indeed 0.0005 undersized, especially given your direct measurement as a back up. I can understand why you would want to know for sure, but just bear in mind that the specifications for building the engine according to the '86 FSM indicate that the allowable tolerances for bearing to journal clearance is 0.0005" to 0.0022" on the mains. When (if) you get to the stage where you decide to replace the main bearings, the size of the original ones will be meaningless though since the journals will likely have to be reground to a smaller, known size anyways. And if not, then when you reassemble it with new bearings the plastigauge will tell you if you're outside the limits. But I suspect you know that already.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remember that Many engine were replace under warranty/recall work.
Many of those were rebuilt by GM or GM's contractors.

Making sure you order the right bearings is very good.

87 and up should have part of VIN on engine and trans. No match VIN then engine was replace.
Not sure if 86 and older has VIN on block etc.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GM started stamping the VIN on the engine block in 1968.

Not sure what year the transmissions started getting stamped, but my 1979 Chevy K-10 had the VIN stamped on the transmission.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by VikingRedBaron:
GM started stamping the VIN on the engine block in 1968.

Perhaps, but they didn't do it on Fiero's until '87 as Ogre said.

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock