battery relocation tray questions by blacknblue
Started on: 11-06-2013 10:39 PM
Replies: 6 (871 views)
Last post by: XThirtySeven on 11-07-2013 05:46 PM
blacknblue

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blacknblueSend a Private Message to blacknblueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So i'm thinking about relocating my battery to the front under the spare tire on my 87 2.5 since my stock battery tray is being eaten by corrosion. I saw the topic asking about stock battery cable lengths, and i was wondering...

1. What would be the length i would need to do the relocation correctly?
2. Also what gauge? i know thin diameter wire could potentially get pretty hot with a far run like that.
3. Finally, are there any junkyard vehicles i should keep an eye out for that might have come stock with a good donor battery cable?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty sure I remember reading about a stock cable from some junkyard car people used. I'm sure if you search you can find it, or someone will chime in with it.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ReallyBig did a great write-up on his 4.9L swap. Page 3 of the write-up shows everything he did to move the battery up front.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2/HTML/122389-3.html

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put the battery into a boat battery box in the trunk. Works like a dream. Next to no line loss and I used welding wire for the hookup.

For the weight transfer effect, to put it up front you are adding more weight in cable than it is worth IMHO.

The car doesn't notice the small weight adjustment at the back end by 2'

Arn
XThirtySeven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Certain BMWs have batteries in the trunk. Find one and pull the cable, best part is they charge you for the cable as an item not per foot so its only $10
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There are GM vehicles with their batteries under the back seat. These battery cables are perfect. Even have the correct connections for side-post batteries.

The best part... $3.95 apiece at the auto wreckers.

Splurge and buy two. Run the negative cable right up to the engine block.
XThirtySeven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Certain BMWs have batteries in the trunk. Find one and pull the cable, best part is they charge you for the cable as an item not per foot so its only $10

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock