Advice on 88 Brakes by XThirtySeven
Started on: 11-05-2013 09:45 PM
Replies: 7 (589 views)
Last post by: XThirtySeven on 11-07-2013 11:28 PM
XThirtySeven

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am looking to upgrade my front brakes. The reason being I'm dropping in a 3.4 DOHC and I want to be able to stop better especially sinceI will be Autocrossing. What do you guys recomend? I would like to be as light as possible for the least amount of money and as efficient as possible. I know this would be ideal but I'm realistic so I will probably only get 2 out of 3 of my wants met.

What would be light stock rotors and would it be enough to just put in the S10 Brake Booster with SS Braided Lines and nice EBC pads on ligjt rotors?

What is a light aftermarket option that isn't a ton of money?

Thank you in advance for any help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 05:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

XThirtySeven,

What are you looking for with 'upgraded brakes'? Improved fade resistence or less pedal pressure? Your existing calipers are about as light as you are going to find and if you seek improved fade resistence then you really need MORE than stock mass in your rotors to 'sink' the heat and keep temperatures down. That means you need larger rotors which leads to heavier rotors. If you want lower pedal pressure to reach lockup (and get better ability to modulate), then you need larger rotors again.

For your '88, to increase rotor diameter, you will need larger wheels. You can save some weight there over the stock wheel.

My suggestion is to keep the stock calipers and stock master cylinder and buy adapters (available in the Mall) to mount your stock calipers to use with 12 corvette rotors which are drilled to the Fiero 5x100 pattern. This along with SS brake hoses and Thermoquiet or EBC pads should give you improved fade performance, lower pedal pressure to reach lockup, and fairly minimal weight gain.

There are quite a few threads you can find on 12" Corvette brakes covering the details.

Larry

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The S10 booster and better pads will improve your stopping power. Also, FYI the Fiero Store sells a kit for the '88 Fiero with cross-drilled rotors and Carbomet brake pads (part # 56001). With that kit and an S10 booster, you should be good to go.
XThirtySeven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 04:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the advice, it looks like I will be doing the 12" Vette brakes and SS Lines. Not sure if adding the booster would be overkill or not.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by XThirtySeven:

Thank you for the advice, it looks like I will be doing the 12" Vette brakes and SS Lines. Not sure if adding the booster would be overkill or not.

Just make sure to check for interference between the nose of the lower a-arm and backside of the rotor. If you don't check this, you will gouge your new rotors on your first trip around the block. Been there, done that, designed a better kit so my customers don't have to worry about it.
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Just make sure to check for interference between the nose of the lower a-arm and backside of the rotor. If you don't check this, you will gouge your new rotors on your first trip around the block. Been there, done that, designed a better kit so my customers don't have to worry about it.

I ended up digging a valley into the rotor of my Grand Am brakes because of the dust shield. Looked like it cleared it, but obviously not. Only make that mistake once
TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have 88 brakes all around on my 84 (with the 88 cradle) including the MC, booster and prop valve. I also installed 12" vette rotors on the front and the car stops really well. The bigger rotors make a noticeable improvement.
XThirtySeven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Im going to PM you because I need rotors from you, saw you sell on eBay

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock