getting base ignition timing on v6 by dgsmooth
Started on: 11-05-2013 12:56 AM
Replies: 4 (849 views)
Last post by: lateFormula on 11-05-2013 06:02 PM
dgsmooth

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dgsmoothSend a Private Message to dgsmoothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cheers again all....so I'm putting this thing back together, need to figure out how to time the distributor? I have engine at TDC #1, so should I just eyeball the rotor to the cylinder #1 wire on the cap# will that get me close enough? how will I know if I have enough adjustment in either direction?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dgsmooth:

I have engine at TDC #1...

Just make sure you're at TDC #1 on the compression stroke.

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since it's a 3.4 swap, be sure you don't have a 3.4 harmonic balancer on it. Timing marks on the 2.8 should be positioned on your timing mark when at #1 TDC.

Once you have the engine broken in, you can fine tune the car by using the averaging method of cylinders 1 and 4, and with the ECM jumpered.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To give yourself a head-start, you can turn the engine to 10° BTDC, then set the distributer to cylinder #1. That should "dial in" 10 degrees of timing advance, from the get-go.

To make sure I had it lined up, I would use a marker to draw a line down the side of the distributer at cylinder #1. Then I'd use that line to mark the distributer base. With the distributer cap off, I'd line up the rotor with that mark. That should get it close enough so the engine will run. Then you can fine-tune it from there.
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:
Once you have the engine broken in, you can fine tune the car by using the averaging method of cylinders 1 and 4, and with the ECM jumpered.

Or you can do it the easy way and clip the inductive lead to the coil wire and set the timing on all six cylinders at once. The harmonic balancer for the 2.8 has the primary timing groove plus two smaller grooves 120° apart from each other.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock