Odometer not working by PatrickTRoof
Started on: 11-04-2013 02:26 PM
Replies: 4 (698 views)
Last post by: PatrickTRoof on 11-18-2013 04:35 PM
PatrickTRoof

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2013 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My odometer and trip counter were not working, and today the trip counter magically started working again, but not the odometer. It's worth noting that I had removed the cruise control components from under the hood when I did my engine replacement, and did not put them back (I have no idea where they are now...) I read on another thread that the cruise has something to do with the odometer working or not. Any clues?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2013 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PatrickTRoof:

My odometer and trip counter were not working, and today the trip counter magically started working again, but not the odometer. It's worth noting that I had removed the cruise control components from under the hood when I did my engine replacement, and did not put them back (I have no idea where they are now...) I read on another thread that the cruise has something to do with the odometer working or not. Any clues?

Not in the Fiero...

In other cars of similar age (or older), the speedometer (and odometer) are driven by a cable which may often first connect to the cruise control. In the Fiero however, the speedometer and odometer are both driven by voltage input. Both the odometer and speedometer have separated motors which drive the gauges (and the wheel roll). If the connection is bad, the speedometer (or odometer, or both) will stop working. My guess is that the connection is bad, which would explain why one of them just randomly started working, but the other still does not.

Try taking out the gauges and seeing if the motors move freely... the motors look like this:

(K for kilometers, and M for miles)

Although I'm 100% American, I thought it would be cool to get the metric gauges, so I swapped in Canadian gauges into my car and kept the MILES motor for the odometer, but swapped out the KPH motor for the speedometer.

EDIT: Accidentally posted this in the wrong thread... there are two people with gauge problems, but the info should be useful either way. Sorry!

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 11-04-2013).]

PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2013 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info, I will check it out! And it does look pretty bad-A with a dial that goes up to 180, even if it is just kilometers!
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2013 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PatrickTRoof:

Thanks for the info, I will check it out! And it does look pretty bad-A with a dial that goes up to 180, even if it is just kilometers!

Yeah, that was pretty much why I did it. I can still keep the American miles on it, but it works on KPH... might even keep me from speeding too. It still has MPH in smaller numbers just in case I need to reference it.

The other gauges are different too. You'll notice that the fuel gauge doesn't say empty or full, it just has an empty-circle or a full circle. The temperature gauge is also in celcius. The AUX gauges are also a little different. In this case, I kept the VOLTS, but decided to swap out the PSI for oil pressure with BAR units.

PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2013 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You wouldn't happen to have a spare odometer motor for miles, would you? I have no money, but you would have my undying gratitude, and I have a plethora of 2.8 parts if you would like to make a trade.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock