Removing tint from 88GT glass with defrost grid by Carrolles
Started on: 11-02-2013 08:42 PM
Replies: 5 (333 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 11-03-2013 08:28 AM
Carrolles

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have luck removing window tint from rear glass with defrost grid?

The PO heavily tinted the side and rear glass. This doesn't work well with my old eyes. I'd like to remove the tint from the rear glass but it has a working defrost grid.

Anyone have luck removing or have ideas?

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well they probably make something that might remove it. But what I have read before is to cut a trash bag or the like that fits the window size and tape it tight to the glass around the outside edge. Place a little household ammonia inside the plastic before you tape the last shut. Let it set for some time. It's suppose to make it come loose. Might help to put some nicks in the tint inbetween the defrost traces.

I'm sure others have ideas.

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Window-Tint
There are also Youtube videos on doing it. Just search.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 11-02-2013).]

Carrolles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. I wonder if that will also loosen the defrost grid.
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some of the web searches seem to indicate it does not hurt the lines. 1 Link added above.
jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2013 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a friend that worked for me tinting windows when I owned a stereo shop, we would use the old liner and put it over the glass and park it in the sun for a while
(called sweating the film) but the best and easiest way to remove film is with a steamer...

------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
My Build

[This message has been edited by jb1 (edited 11-03-2013).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2013 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you can get one corner up, it may peel off in one sheet. The glue residue can be removed by spraying with cloudy ammonia and dish soap. Spray it on and let it soak. If it doesnt peel off in one sheet, spray with the mixture and put newspaper over it and let it soak, respraying the newspaper until the film looks milky. It should come right off.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock