84 Duke Exhaust Manifold by edfiero
Started on: 11-02-2013 07:10 AM
Replies: 2 (164 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 11-02-2013 08:51 AM
edfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pulled the car in the garage for what I thought was a manifold GASKET change, and as I am am taking the bolts out, I realize the exhaust manifold is cracked. So I remove the whole thing, and after looking more closely, its not just 1 crack that I can weld, the thing is falling apart, with holes all over.

This is an ATP replacement manifold I got from Rockauto 3 years ago. Now, it looks like this has a lifetime warranty, so I think I can get it replaced without any $$. However its obvious this ATP is crap. I don't want to change it again in 3 years. (The car got maybe 5,000 miles in the last 3 years)

I see the Fierostore sells a coated manifold, which I assume is a STOCK manifold with some silver spray paint on it. Suggestions on what to do? Go the Fierostore route? Chalk the ATP failure up to a fluke and get a free replacement ?? I see DORMAN has a manifold too? Any idea if this made by the same people that make the ATP?

I checked Rodney's site and didn't see any options there.

Thanks for your input.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OBX used to have polished stainless manifolds on ebay, might contact them and see if they have any left. I used it on mine after the re-welded manifold re-cracked. It didn't stay nice and shiny very long, but it's stainless, and fairly well made.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:

Pulled the car in the garage for what I thought was a manifold GASKET change, and as I am am taking the bolts out, I realize the exhaust manifold is cracked. So I remove the whole thing, and after looking more closely, its not just 1 crack that I can weld, the thing is falling apart, with holes all over.

This is an ATP replacement manifold I got from Rockauto 3 years ago. Now, it looks like this has a lifetime warranty, so I think I can get it replaced without any $$. However its obvious this ATP is crap. I don't want to change it again in 3 years. (The car got maybe 5,000 miles in the last 3 years)

I see the Fierostore sells a coated manifold, which I assume is a STOCK manifold with some silver spray paint on it. Suggestions on what to do? Go the Fierostore route? Chalk the ATP failure up to a fluke and get a free replacement ?? I see DORMAN has a manifold too? Any idea if this made by the same people that make the ATP?

I checked Rodney's site and didn't see any options there.

Thanks for your input.

There USED to be a Hooker Header that was made specifically for the 84 Fiero (worked in other years, but only listed the 84 model year). The Hooker Header would replace the entire length of the exhaust from the header all the way to the catalytic converter. If you can find one of those, that would be IDEAL as you'd certainly get some improved performance from it.

As far as the Fiero store's ceramic coated manifold... I've never purchased a header from them, but I did purchase a ceramic coated Y-pipe from them for the V6 and was very pleased with it. I've had it in there for years, and it's held up really well. They have their stuff coated by a nearby shop (forget the name), but they do an excellent job. If you wanted to pretty much keep it stock, you could go that route, just get their ceramic coated exhaust manifold. For what it's worth, it is a ceramic coating... they do it inside and outside. This greatly improves the heat in the exhaust (helps retain it) which improves the efficiency of the catalytic converter. It also keeps the exhaust compartment much cooler too, so you should notice some improved reliability in rubber components and maybe even driveability due to less heat soak in the engine / intake.

If you're looking for a bit more power, and you still have the old catalytic converter, I would swap out that old "pellet" style catalytic converter for one of their newer ones (honey-comb). Much better fuel economy, and better driveability / response.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock