Sail Panels by raysr11
Started on: 11-01-2013 12:57 PM
Replies: 23 (1145 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 11-07-2013 12:01 PM
raysr11

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone installed a set of these, Fiero Store "Part #50399 GT"?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by raysr11:

Has anyone installed a set of these, Fiero Store "Part #50399 GT"?

I have not, but the only thing that concerns me is that it apparently is meant to replace the entire sail panel component. Not that I think that's necessarily a bad thing, but the sail panel is also used to help vent cabin air as part of the federally mandated "flow-through" design. It almost looks like it closes those vents.
S-toon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for S-toonSend a Private Message to S-toonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
I have not, but the only thing that concerns me is that it apparently is meant to replace the entire sail panel component. Not that I think that's necessarily a bad thing, but the sail panel is also used to help vent cabin air as part of the federally mandated "flow-through" design. It almost looks like it closes those vents.

How is it any different then the fastback sail? I mean they both look like cover the vents. Never owned one, fastback, but looks like it might be the same concept. Well I use to have one for parts but it is now long gone so not like I can check.

Anyway here is the same thing, well looks like it, but cheaper. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PON...em1e815f2523&vxp=mtr
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by S-toon:

How is it any different then the fastback sail? I mean they both look like cover the vents. Never owned one, fastback, but looks like it might be the same concept. Well I use to have one for parts but it is now long gone so not like I can check.

Anyway here is the same thing, well looks like it, but cheaper. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PON...em1e815f2523&vxp=mtr

Well, the part number that he posted is a normal sail panel for a NOTCHBACK... (or an 85 GT), not a fastback. And what this sail panel looks like it replaces is the entire sail panel carrier. Not only does it replace the curved piece, but actually the black bracket as well, essentially replacing everything.
S-toon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for S-toonSend a Private Message to S-toonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah ok let me clear it up a bit. The link I provided says it replaces the whole thing, im thinking like this.

Not mine, found the pic using search.

and also the fastback also covers the whole thing. not mine just pic I found to show.

so to me looks like it was just copied over to the notchback. If that makes sense.

So how is it any different from the fastback (86-88 GT) that it covers the vents unless those were made to vent behind the sails, idk as I don't own one, I have a 87 SE.

[This message has been edited by S-toon (edited 11-01-2013).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by S-toon:

So how is it any different from the fastback (86-88 GT) that it covers the vents unless those were made to vent behind the sails, idk as I don't own one, I have a 87 SE.

I guess that's a good point?! Don't know why there's a vent on one, and not on the fastback.
raysr11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought and installed a set and yes they replace the entire sail panel. I wasn't to worried about the vent but more about the fitment as there are no instructions. I got mine from e-bay, they're the same as TFS product. They look good and are good quality. I had them professionally installed and there was a big gap on the bottom. So I was wondering if anyone here had installed a set and how they dealt with the gap on the bottom. If installed directly beneath the drip rail there is a 1 to 1/2" gap on the bottom. I used some pieces off a junk car and some door edge guard stuff to close the gap but I can't say I'm thrilled with the fit. Seller says it's all the installer's fault which may be true but he gives me no instructions as to the placement of the panels. This is for a notchback. I'd post a pix if it wasn't such a drag to use the picture app here. Also I use Linux. Looking at the picture of the notchback above, those look like "Kahines". They fit in recess all the way in apparently. The ones I have are wider and fit further on the outside of the recess.

[This message has been edited by raysr11 (edited 11-01-2013).]

bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've installed several sets of Ken Hines version and they work great. There is plenty of gap for any flow through air to escape- if it ever worked in the first place.

raysr11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those DO look great. They sit in the recess where-as mine stand out more.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's kinda growing on me... but I think it would need some lettering or working on it... the Pontiac logo, maybe SE or GT on it... otherwise it's not 80s enough! hehe...
raysr11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if I'm going to leave mine on or take them off. I'll be out a lot of money if I do. The ones I have stick out further than the door windows. IMO it's hard to improve the basic look of the Fiero.
PFF
System Bot
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2013 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by raysr11:
The ones I have stick out further than the door windows.

I think they're supposed to, the factory ones do on the notchback and fastback.
Got any pics?

SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2013 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SCCA FIERO

3808 posts
Member since May 99
After looking into these sail panels a bit more, I noticed a difference between Chris Cook's/Fiero Store? (ebay = gtfiero) and Kahines' (ebay = kahines).

Kahines has a recess at the lower edge where it meets the door, which appears to have more window in the lower area (as shown in the pic above).

Anyone have pics of Chris Cook's installed?
raysr11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2013 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do but I'd have to e-mail them to you 'cause I use Linux and the photo app here won't work.

[This message has been edited by raysr11 (edited 11-03-2013).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2013 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you look at your factory quarter window, you'll notice there is a large vent are at the back of the hard plastic area. The curvature of the quarter window lens doesn't cover that, and the recess creates a vacuum when the car is moving. This, along with the heater fan helps to carry air through the cabin. You may still get some air flow, but it would be somewhat restricted with a full cover over it. I'm guessing you may also have to grind off the raised ribbing where the Pontiac chevron sits in order to get a flush fit.

The fastback setup is a little different and directs the cabin air behind the quarter window, exiting between the window and the inner sail panel trim piece. That air is carried away with the air from the engine vents.
raysr11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2013 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, that whole piece comes off as unit with the sail panel.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2013 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lildevil on here has the original Ken Hines ones on his car. They replace the entire stock frame:

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2013 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sail Panel design is part keeping cabin air fresh.
Air is pulled thru B pillar... inside vent at bottom then up and out thru sail panel. The holes that looks like vent... are.
Covered in owners manual etc. GT uses same idea but modified for fastback.
Even when AC/heater is Off, the cabin will still get some air flow. Heater box doors have built in gaps for this reason.

W/o that the air will go "stale" and can cause driver to sleep very easy.
Worse, any small air leak from engine bay can cause CO poisoning w/o enough flesh air flow. That can make you drive like your drunk, pass out and hit things/people, etc.

Example: Shift and Throttle cables often leak air. They use soft rubber "bulkhead" seals and 25+ years later doesn't help.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)
raysr11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2013 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These all seem to have a gap somewhere so I would guess there's some ventilation. But I get your point Ogre.

[This message has been edited by raysr11 (edited 11-06-2013).]

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have ken hines fastback sails, and I've just about threw them in the garbage several times. They weren't cut right, it looks like I have to shave them to even fit right without the door window ripping them right off when it scrapes the corner. Never again. They were cheap for a reason.

------------------

raysr11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know how you feel. The ones I have "fit" but I had them installed "professionally"(what a joke) and one is crooked. I still haven't decided whether I'm going to leave them on or not but I'll be losing a lot of money if I don't. I can't speak to the GT version but the one's I have, have the potential of looking good. Just seem too short.
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like Ken Hines sails, especially on black.

yellowstone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SCCA FIERO:

Anyone have pics of Chris Cook's installed?

Yes, the pic that was posted above is my car and those are Chris's (tinted)...

Some more:

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 11-07-2013).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would think that a notchback window that extends to the front like the fastback window would also need the notch at the bottom since the window and door are in the same location on all Fieros.

I ordered a set of aftermarket GT windows from a vendor who purchased them elsewhere and repackaged them. They still had the tag of the original vendor on them. They were junk, with lots of trash and scratches in the printing and scuffs on the face. It was suggested that I get some plastic polish and try to buff the scuffs out. After returning them and filing a cancellation of payment, I ordered Chris Cook's windows. They fit perfectly, and came with the original style application tape in appropriate amounts for installation.

Never tried Ken Hines's windows, but of the other two vendors (same manufacturer) I've tried, I'd take Chris Cook's on any day.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock