Swapping motor and trans, looking for guidance by P.O.L. Mafia
Started on: 11-01-2013 12:54 PM
Replies: 1 (108 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 11-01-2013 02:34 PM
P.O.L. Mafia

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for P.O.L. MafiaClick Here to visit P.O.L. Mafia's HomePageSend a Private Message to P.O.L. MafiaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Greetings all, been a long time, but after the first of the year I get to start working on my old Fiero again!

Question / statements

I’m planning an engine tranny swap as the 2.8 (turd) and auto are NOT going to cut it. I’m leaning very hard to the 4.9. I love the 300 foot pound of torque. I’m also planning on using a getrag 5 for tranny. I have a 2.8 flywheel that I can adapt to the 4.9 no problem and going to get the rad re-cored with as many cores as possible to keep it all cool.

Where I’m wavering is two places, first, leave the 4.9 FI or jerk it off and carb it. I can get full motors all day long from pull-a-part for $200 and all the stuff that goes with it. I really like the simplicity of carb, but not scared of FI either. Second, clutch, I’ve read conflicting stories on clutches; I know stock will never hold. I have Hays in my 77 Camaro 400 sb with Muncie and have never had a problem, but I’ve read some that don’t like the Hays, so what’s your thoughts?
And yes I am converting an auto to a stick, parts are cheap and I have time

------------------
Mike T
CCWorks
http://www.ccworks.org
Choppers and Fiero's RUUUULLLLEEEEE
michael.tullock@ccworks.net

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by P.O.L. Mafia:

Greetings all, been a long time, but after the first of the year I get to start working on my old Fiero again!

Question / statements

I’m planning an engine tranny swap as the 2.8 (turd) and auto are NOT going to cut it. I’m leaning very hard to the 4.9. I love the 300 foot pound of torque. I’m also planning on using a getrag 5 for tranny. I have a 2.8 flywheel that I can adapt to the 4.9 no problem and going to get the rad re-cored with as many cores as possible to keep it all cool.

Where I’m wavering is two places, first, leave the 4.9 FI or jerk it off and carb it. I can get full motors all day long from pull-a-part for $200 and all the stuff that goes with it. I really like the simplicity of carb, but not scared of FI either. Second, clutch, I’ve read conflicting stories on clutches; I know stock will never hold. I have Hays in my 77 Camaro 400 sb with Muncie and have never had a problem, but I’ve read some that don’t like the Hays, so what’s your thoughts?
And yes I am converting an auto to a stick, parts are cheap and I have time

I am also in the process of converting an auto to a stick, and I've actually gotten everything completed short of actually swapping the transmission (the easiest part). It's not impossible, but it does take time and it's much easier if you have all the parts already, or a parts car that you can swap parts from.

As for the Getrag, I would try to get something better, maybe a 6-Speed. There are a bunch of those available online on eBay that were originally meant for the Pontiac G6. You can get them for like $400 bucks all day, brand new, never installed... ready to go. Way better option than going with an old Getrag.

As for Carb VS Fuel Injection... the fuel injection is definitely the better way to go. Don't get me wrong, I love carburetors, but the parts available for the 4.9 are more than enough to help the engine breath well beyond any limitations that might be caused by the intake. If you want even more (meaning you have some significant modification to the heads and stuff) you can always go with the Cadillac Allante intake which provides bigger runners, etc.

Carb would be real simple to just get it in and running, and then you wouldn't have to worry about an ECM or any of that, but the fuel injection would give you a much more refined performance.
IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock