Started on: 10-31-2013 10:47 PM
Replies: 7 (874 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 11-06-2013 10:21 AM
Doni Hagan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few years ago, I installed a manual switch for the radiator cooling fan. It worked great BTW...especially in rush hour traffic in warm weather. BUT it's not working now and I've forgotten how I hooked it up. I'm sure I got the idea from a thread but I can't seem to find it again.

Does anyone know either which thread it was or how to hook it back up?

Thanks!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's a green/white wire leading from the fan relay (near the driver's side headlight bucket) that branches out to several components: the coolant fan switch on the engine, the heater/A/C head unit, and/or the A/C high pressure switch on the compressor.

All of these components simply ground the grn/wht wire, so your manual switch was likely spliced onto any one of the branches leading to one of these components, and then the other terminal from your switch would have to lead to a ground.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doni Hagan:

A few years ago, I installed a manual switch for the radiator cooling fan. It worked great BTW...especially in rush hour traffic in warm weather. BUT it's not working now and I've forgotten how I hooked it up. I'm sure I got the idea from a thread but I can't seem to find it again.

Does anyone know either which thread it was or how to hook it back up?

Thanks!

Can you verify if the fan is actually working? Unless you changed anything, it should still work unless the fan motor fried.
Charles Schutty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2013 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charles SchuttySend a Private Message to Charles SchuttyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I left my new purchase '86 idle and forgot to turn on the manual radiator fan switch. It was smoking blue when I came back.
Now I want both manual and auto. I finally located the sensor that operates the fan motor relay automatically. This sensor is sticking out of the fill tube where the thermostat is located. It is my understanding that one only has to ground a wire on this sensor and the relay should close and the fan run.
. . .I hear cars with A/C have a square shaped relay and ones without have a rectangulat shaped relay and both are located drivers side front compartment. I tested a rectangular relay and found that the two #16 wires at positions 2 & 3 are the control wires and the two #12 wires ( 1 & 4) are the two that are switched.
On eBay I identified the 'square' relay as SANTECH IND MTO636, and the rectangular one as 'Four Seasons 35906 . Borg Warner R645 may be an A/C condensor fan relay.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Charles Schutty:

Now I want both manual and auto.

It was years ago that I did the same thing to my first Fiero, but if you follow Bloozberry's instructions, you'll have both auto and manual control of your fan.

On my other Fieros I've simply bought the fan switch from Rodney that turns the fan on at 210° (instead of 235°). Works great.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I left my new purchase '86 idle and forgot to turn on the manual radiator fan switch. It was smoking blue when I came back.
Now I want both manual and auto. I finally located the sensor that operates the fan motor relay automatically.
This sensor is sticking out of the fill tube where the thermostat is located.
It is my understanding that one only has to ground a wire on this sensor and the relay should close and the fan run.

86 4-cylinder I presume. Unless the PO has changed things, you're looking at wrong switch.
The fan switch should be a single wire. Ground that to test. If fan works, the temp switch is bad.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-05-2013).]

Charles Schutty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charles SchuttySend a Private Message to Charles SchuttyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply and the great drawing of the 4 cyl.
There was a 'sleeper' sensor that I never knew existed....
.. can you tell me what book had that drawing in it. I just got my Haynes 'Fiero Repair Manual' from Amazon and haven't had to to look at it.
My Chilton has been helpful but the pics are not that great.
. . . .
BTW...when in my coffee shop with my Samsung Tablet I found a real neat Canadian site.
http://www.calgaryfieros.com/osg.html/ (thank goodness the Android went into my Windows 'desktop' no sweat.
. . . again haven't had much time to read it either...
I use 'USENET' ..... News Groups........ but they must have fallen out of style. There are no posts in the Fiero group. Or maybe us Yankees are not classy 'nuff to appreciate the Fiero.<G>
again. thanks.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BTW...when in my coffee shop with my Samsung Tablet I found a real neat Canadian site.
http://www.calgaryfieros.com/osg.html

That's OUR home website. www.CalgaryFieros.com Thanks

I found the picture in another thread, but I think it's from an Owner's Manual.
You should also get the Fiero Parts Book P22

Downloads http://www.fieronews.net/fusion/downloads.php

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-06-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock