Started on: 10-31-2013 10:26 AM
Replies: 16 (523 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 05-27-2014 10:58 PM
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey you 3800 owners, do you get chirps and a low pitch squeal when the belts get wet? When it rains my belt/belts chirp and are noisy. Been that way since I purchased the car. Car does not have splash shields so may be water is getting up to the belts. I am looking for the shields. Yes I know Rodney has some, but being unemployed I am searching for good used first.

But why is water causing the belts to be noisy and when they dry out they are quite?

Thanks,
Steve
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Possibly lack of tension. General rule of thumb is 10lbs/belt rib. So if you have a 6 rib belt you should be aiming for 60lbs of tension.

If you have no idea what your's is at stop by an Auto Zone and ask to borrow/rent their Krikit gage. If they have the laser alignment tool get that as well and check the alignment of the pulleys as that could cause a belt to wear out quickly and exhibit those characteristics.

Another possibility is that it could just be a crappy belt. I've had good luck with Goodyear Gatorback belts when others would sequel like the stock 2.8 V6 belt routing.

sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What kind of tensioner are you using?

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV
98 GTP - Some mods

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bad pulley alignment would wear the belt... worn out belt can noise when wet first then dry too.

See worn Sep Belts on our cars. Get a free gauge.
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the age of the belt and wear. The new belts no longer crack, but the material wears down. As the others said, check the tensioner also. I don't think it should squeal, even when wet, but it's always a good idea to replace the rubber shields. (Mine didnt have the rubber and did not squeal). I prefer Gatorback or the nice gates ones also. If there isn;t enough tension, maybe you need a slightly shorter belt.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sco77:

What kind of tensioner are you using?

Dont know I bought the car this way. You would have to ask anavaree what he installed. I have had several comments when the pulleys were view " what kind is that?"
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by theogre:

Bad pulley alignment would wear the belt... worn out belt can noise when wet first then dry too.

belts look good
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by smartaxel:

Check the age of the belt and wear. The new belts no longer crack, but the material wears down. As the others said, check the tensioner also. I don't think it should squeal, even when wet, but it's always a good idea to replace the rubber shields. (Mine didnt have the rubber and did not squeal). I prefer Gatorback or the nice gates ones also. If there isn;t enough tension, maybe you need a slightly shorter belt.

PO says the belts were new when he did the swap. Swap was done as far as I can tell in 2012 at around 190k car now has 209k. So new belts should not be worn correct???

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 11-01-2013).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002
I probably should take the car to Olejoedad and have him look at it, then again he'll find so much wrong I'll cry.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by theogre:

You gotta have a smartphone.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:
belts look good

Worn belts do not show. You need gates or dayco gauge.

Originally posted by solotwo:
You gotta have a smartphone.

No. look right side of Gates page... Orange tool take you www.gatesprograms.com/beltwear/beltwear
then click FREE Belt Wear Gauge, Order Now.

DAYCO® aWEARNESS Gauge has move the page...
www.daycoproducts.com/dayco®-awearness-gauge
Was free but don't know. ask Dayco.
PFF
System Bot
Pilot Abileen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 04:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pilot AbileenSend a Private Message to Pilot AbileenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you live in the states, your local O'Reilly Auto Parts has the Gates Orange Gauge on their counter in a display, FREE!!!
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any chance they swapped in a metal idler for the factory plastic? I've fought chirps and squeals and discovered there is a reason GM used plastic for some of them. Put in the plastic - gone. It seems to be a problem where the idler rides on the back side of the belt.

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 11-01-2013).]

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an '08 Grand Prix with a Series III 3800 and about every 6 months my belts chirp when I first start the car in rainy weather. If I put some belt conditioner on it, the problem goes away for about 6 months and the cycle starts again. I would be interested to learn if we have the same issue.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

Any chance they swapped in a metal idler for the factory plastic? I've fought chirps and squeals and discovered there is a reason GM used plastic for some of them. Put in the plastic - gone. It seems to be a problem where the idler rides on the back side of the belt.

I dont know I will have to check.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ordered the gates belt check tool.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
water getting on belt/alternator. Installed new 87 splash guard. Seems to help

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock