Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Can you please help me to comment my Scantool?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Can you please help me to comment my Scantool? by DJWINNI
Started on: 10-28-2013 10:12 AM
Replies: 12 (347 views)
Last post by: Marvin McInnis on 10-30-2013 01:48 PM
DJWINNI

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2013 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DJWINNISend a Private Message to DJWINNIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi huys!

I did scan my 1986 Fiero SE V6, 4 Spd Man this week-end.

It seems to me that the car is running quite nicely, but I suppose a very little bit high idle.

==> Do you see anything wrong or can you give me some comments about these two screen shots?
(For example, the "EGR Duty cycle" always stays at 0 = normal?
Integrator at 136 = OK?)

IGNITION ON

CAR IDLING and WARM

Thanks a lot!!!

------------------
Christophe - 1986 Pontiac Fiero - V6 2.8l - 4 Spd Man

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2013 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will need to look at your readings when cruising. Have someone drive and observe your scans. Your EGR won't come on until moving, under partial load. With you integrator readings, it is not as much as where they are at at one point as much as it is if they continue to climb or drop.
When the ECM gets to a point where it can't control things is when you have problems. 128 is center. Watch you temp. Make sure your fan is coming on if it gets a little higher. You are getting very good O2 cross counts for idle. Because your O2 readings are good I would look for leaks that would not vastly effect mixture. Lightly leaking EGR, but Idle control should be trying to drop down more. May want to remove idle air control motor and make sure it is not dirty causing it to stick a little. But the readings don't look that bad.

[This message has been edited by cmechmann (edited 10-28-2013).]

fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2013 05:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks normal to me. Idle 950 +/-50 is fine.
When driving, check your crosscounts, the faster it counts, the better the ECM is correcting in closed loop.
Are you experiencing any issues?
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2013 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with the above comments. In addition, the BLM (long-term fuel correction) of 121 indicates that the engine is running slightly rich at idle, and the ECM is reducing fuel delivery slightly to compensate. (BLM = 128 is "perfect.") INT is short-term fuel correction, and it will tend to vary a lot more than BLM. (Again, INT = 128 is the "perfect" value.) Note that INT and BLM numbers are meaningful only when the ECM is in closed-loop mode.

The coolant temperature (CTS) is a little higher than normal, but that's probably the result of driving at normal temperature and then stopping and letting the car run at idle for several minutes. Normal coolant temperature while driving should be around 95C.

The MAT (intake manifold air temperature) is a little warm, which suggests that you may be getting intake air from the engine compartment. Has your intake air system been modified from stock? Then again, it may just be a normal result of sitting and idling for several minutes.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 10-29-2013).]

newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2013 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So tell me about this scantool, where do I get one?
fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 04:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero Store sells them.
DJWINNI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 06:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DJWINNISend a Private Message to DJWINNIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First of all, THANKS a lot for all your answers and your help!!!!!
Really appreciate it!!

Originally posted by cmechmann:
You will need to look at your readings when cruising. Have someone drive and observe your scans. Your EGR won't come on until moving, under partial load. With you integrator readings, it is not as much as where they are at at one point as much as it is if they continue to climb or drop.
When the ECM gets to a point where it can't control things is when you have problems. 128 is center. Watch you temp. Make sure your fan is coming on if it gets a little higher. You are getting very good O2 cross counts for idle. Because your O2 readings are good I would look for leaks that would not vastly effect mixture. Lightly leaking EGR, but Idle control should be trying to drop down more. May want to remove idle air control motor and make sure it is not dirty causing it to stick a little. But the readings don't look that bad.

Will check it with someone doing screen shots while I'll be driving!
EGR tube is new (2 years).
I had a disconnected hose 2 months ago: the one that is connected to the EGR solenoid: replaced it and reconnected it!
Should I check for other vacuum leaks?

Idle Air Control Motor = IAC valve?
Any tips for cleaning it? (don't want to make something wrong by using some cleaners that coulf affect it!)

Originally posted by fieroluke:

Looks normal to me. Idle 950 +/-50 is fine.
When driving, check your crosscounts, the faster it counts, the better the ECM is correcting in closed loop.
Are you experiencing any issues?

Crosscounts seem to be quite good!
Will check how much times it will cross lean/rich during complete 0-250 crosscounts!

No codes, but only issue I have is a 975-1025 idle, whereas my car idled at about 900-925 a few months ago!
My thread about my Idle

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:
I agree with the above comments. In addition, the BLM (long-term fuel correction) of 121 indicates that the engine is running slightly rich at idle, and the ECM is reducing fuel delivery slightly to compensate. (BLM = 128 is "perfect.") INT is short-term fuel correction, and it will tend to vary a lot more than BLM. (Again, INT = 128 is the "perfect" value.) Note that INT and BLM numbers are meaningful only when the ECM is in closed-loop mode.
The coolant temperature (CTS) is a little higher than normal, but that's probably the result of driving at normal temperature and then stopping and letting the car run at idle for several minutes. Normal coolant temperature while driving should be around 95C.
The MAT (intake manifold air temperature) is a little warm, which suggests that you may be getting intake air from the engine compartment. Has your intake air system been modified from stock? Then again, it may just be a normal result of sitting and idling for several minutes.

Yes, indeed, I drove the car about 10 miles, then stopped a few minutes and car was idling! That must be the reason why CT and MAT were a little high.
Concerning my Air Intake, I just replaced the stock one by a K&N air filter!

What should I check if my car is running slightly rich?

Originally posted by newfiejeff:

So tell me about this scantool, where do I get one?

Got this one from the Fiero Strore!
I think that fieroluke is the owner and producer of it!
FieroStore Scan Tool from fieroluke

------------------
Christophe - 1986 Pontiac Fiero - V6 2.8l - 4 Spd Man

[This message has been edited by DJWINNI (edited 10-30-2013).]

fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi,

that's correct, and from the screenshot I see you have an old version of the software.
Let me know if you want me to send you the latest version.

Best regards

Oliver
DJWINNI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DJWINNISend a Private Message to DJWINNIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroluke:

Hi,

that's correct, and from the screenshot I see you have an old version of the software.
Let me know if you want me to send you the latest version.

Best regards

Oliver

PM sent Oliver!
Thanks a lot!!

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DJWINNI:

In that case you are now indeed drawing hot air from the engine compartment rather than cold air from outside. The stock Fiero cold air intake is a good design, and replacing it with a K&N filter is a step backwards. That alone could explain your slightly low BLM readings; warm air = less dense, which tends to make the fuel mixture run slightly rich, but your BLMs aren't far enough off to worry about.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

In that case you are now indeed drawing hot air from the engine compartment rather than cold air from outside. The stock Fiero cold air intake is a good design, and replacing it with a K&N filter is a step backwards. That alone could explain your slightly low BLM readings; warm air = less dense, which tends to make the fuel mixture run slightly rich, but your BLMs aren't far enough off to worry about.

Maybe not. I have a K&N that fits in the stock Fiero can.
PFF
System Bot
DJWINNI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DJWINNISend a Private Message to DJWINNIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Maybe not. I have a K&N that fits in the stock Fiero can.

Yes, me too!
I have this one, not the cone filter for funnel ram Intake!
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have this one, not the cone filter for funnel ram Intake!

Thanks for the clarification. That is different than what you originally wrote:

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock