Felco Intake plenum gasket question by 4thfiero
Started on: 10-27-2013 09:47 PM
Replies: 6 (339 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 10-28-2013 09:43 AM
4thfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, so...REALLY stuoid thing happened, im replacing my lower intake plenum gasket (between the block and the lower intake plenum) ...removed the upper plenum, and fuel rail obv...took lower plenum out, replaced gasket...torqued her down, then realized that my freaking lower plenum was bolted backwards, the two bolt holes that hold the fuel rail down to the lower plenum were on opposite sides....(idiot!)

Question: Can that gasket be reused? Or do i need to get ANOTHER bcc i already torqued it down...is it ruined once i unbolt the lower plenum again?

Here is the set I have, im asking specifically for the gasket in the top right corner

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FEL...em2c6e662612&vxp=mtr

[This message has been edited by 4thfiero (edited 10-27-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm a little confused. If you are talking about the main intake that bolts to the block...then yes, I would buy a new one. Not worth the risk. However, if you are talking about the gasket that goes between the middle plenum (tall, unpainted crisscross piece) and main lower intake then I wouldn't worry too much unless you used silicone. Same goes for the upper plenum (painted red).

Worst case with the plenum gaskets is a vacuum leak.
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
now im confused too, lol

I took off the red intake plenum that says FIERO on it...then i removed the fuel rail...then the silver unpainted lower plenum that bolts to the block. The gasket im reffering to is the one that goes UNDERNEITH that silver unpainted lower plenum, that the red upper plenum sits ontop of when the engine is fully assembled.
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2013 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The one you are talking about is the lower intake. You really shold use a new one, once it is mashed down it is used up. Save your self some grief and get a new one. Larry
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2013 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
haha, sorry about that. Although you can prob. get away without replacing it. Like Trot. said...good reassurance to just get a new one.
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2013 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks guys!
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2013 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should be fine. Just flip the intake around, and get back to business. You'll need to re-do the RTV sealant, though.

Edit to add: And since you have the intake off, it would be a good time to do this little mod.

You use a Dremel (or some other rotary tool) to grind small channels in both ends, where the intake touches the engine block. This helps to keep your sealant in place, so you don't end up with oil leaks at those seams.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 10-28-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock