problem with the binker/high beam by Carl Calderone
Started on: 10-27-2013 05:43 PM
Replies: 6 (150 views)
Last post by: Ducati Jones on 10-29-2013 09:43 AM
Carl Calderone

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carl CalderoneSend a Private Message to Carl CalderoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Gang,
I'm turning to all you Fiero aficionados out there for help with my latest dilemma....

Recently, and for reasons I cant figure out, my directional and high beams as well as the cruise control option have ceased to function. If I click up or down (left turn right turn) nothing happens, nor do the high beams when I pull the stalk backward. I checked all associated fuses in the block and they all appear to be in good order. I have looked into the various manual that I have on hand and the only direction it appears to give is "see fuses".

I was thinking about replacing the actual "stalk" in an effort to re-establish the working order.... does that sound like it is the correct course of action?????

Once again, OPEN to ALL feedback from the group.

Thanks in advance for any and all help offered.
Carl
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like the pivot for the turn signal switch has broken/worn out or wiring has been pulled apart near the bottom of the steering collumn.
First you need to find out if it is electrical or mechanical. Try your hazard switch. Though it uses a different circuit, if the connector on the bottom of the collumn has come apart, it won't work either. The high beam switch uses a different circuit and a different set of wires but a rod goes from the turn signal switch to the high beam switch inside the collumn. If the turn signal switch has broken, that rod can pop off the high beam switch.
Remove the cover under the dash, just above the pedals. Then remove the cover under the bottom of the collumn. You should see a bracket with 2 nuts that hold the collumn up and 4 small bolts that attach the collumn to that bracket. A little further down the collumn you will see the turn signal/hazard light connector. The cruise connector should near it.
If it is not that it is going to be broken wiring in the collumn. Either way the steering wheel and locking ring will have to come off to access the turn signal switch.
If you are going to replace the switch and cruise pod, here is a tip. Where those 4 bolts that hold the collumn to the bracket, remove them, lift up the collumn a little and remove the plastic cover/shield for the wiring(sliding downward). It will make it much easier to "fish" the wires in and out of the collumn. Just reinstall it when you are done.
Carl Calderone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carl CalderoneSend a Private Message to Carl CalderoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hazard lights work, as do the brake lights......
Carl Calderone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carl CalderoneSend a Private Message to Carl CalderoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Carl Calderone

341 posts
Member since Aug 2013
Thank you for all that great information!shopping for a new directional stalk. I don't look forward to removing the steering wheel, but if I must........ Thanks!
maybenot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2013 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is your wiper switch on the lever too? if so do they work?
on my old ford, its called a multi-function switch and it is big money to buy-only 5 minutes to replace.
not sure if fieros are the same, but its basically the whole circuitboard/connectors for everything on the lever-turn signals,brights,wipers,cruise, and washers.
Carl Calderone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2013 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carl CalderoneSend a Private Message to Carl CalderoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yea! that's pretty much the same as the Fiero....although I haven't tried to use the wipers, I'm not sure if they work. I guess I will have to check.
Ducati Jones

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2013 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ducati JonesSend a Private Message to Ducati JonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've replaced the harness/switch assembly in the steering column as well as the turn signal stalk. It's not to hard to do but does takes some time to do. A steering wheel puller kit helps alot as you not only have to remove the steering wheel but compress a plate in the column to get to the harness. The issue I was having was the wipers coming on when ever I turned on the turn signal and also the turn signal not clicking off after the turn was done when I made left hand turns. Replacing everything helped.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock