1988 IRON DUKE WON'T START by MrRich
Started on: 10-27-2013 05:37 PM
Replies: 7 (814 views)
Last post by: fierocarparts on 10-29-2013 01:06 PM
MrRich

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MrRichSend a Private Message to MrRichEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1988 Notchback Iron Duke
1. Dropped tank and replaced fuel pump.
2. I think I hear the pump working. 4 gallons in the tank now.
3. It starts when I squirt gas into the throttle body.
4. The injector is getting juice from the EMC.
5. TBI and injector is as dry as a bone, no sign of gas.
6. I haven't checked for fuel at the fuel filter or the fuse box.
Does anybody have a clue what to do next? I'm not an electronic guru, I just need simple solutions.
I've replaced gas pumps twice before and never have had this problem.
Thank you
MrRich

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Crack open a fitting some place and see if fuel squirts out when the pump runs. That is simple. If no fuel then you know the problem. Larry
MrRich

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MrRichSend a Private Message to MrRichEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll check the fuse also.
Thank you for your help.
MR
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have a timing light hook it up and point it at the throttle body while someone else cranks it, you should be able to see the injector spray pattern, if not you may have a clogged fuel filter. or check the fuse for the pump in the fuse box its possible you may have blown it while changing the fuel pump. lay under the car if its still up on jack stands and have someone else turn the key to run, you should be able to hear the pump starting if you are under the car closer to the tank.

Its also possible you may have pinched a fuel line when putting the tank back in place.

Or if you don't have a timing light just put a peace of paper under the injector while someone else tries to start the car. you could also have a bad connection to the injector, check the wires to it and the plug, unplug and replug then try starting it again.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 10-27-2013).]

stefanosg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2013 05:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stefanosgClick Here to visit stefanosg's HomePageSend a Private Message to stefanosgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a bad fuel pump relay on mine. It's right behind the driver on the firewall.
RilesOfSmiles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2013 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RilesOfSmilesSend a Private Message to RilesOfSmilesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will never know why gm put the iron duke in the fiero in the first place. I'm mean if thats the engine you have available just source a better 4 banger from another company! Putting the iron duke in the fiero is like putting a ferrari v12 in a tractor. Its the wrong engine for the job. Unless its the sd4. Then I take it all back.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2013 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fuse box supplies +12 to the injector, not the ECM.

The ECM grounds the injector to fire it. Most likely the ECM isn't grounding the injector. That doesn't mean a bad ECM necessarily but more likely bad signals or no power to the ECM.

Does the check engine light come on when you have the key on engine off? It should. Does the fuel pump come on for two seconds when you turn the key on, and then shut off? It should. If neither of these are happening look to see if your ECM is getting power. If you wired around the fuel pump relay to get the fuel pump to run that doesn't count. Finally if you JUST BUMP the starter does the fuel pump relay turn on again for two seconds and then turn off? It should. That indicates the ECM is getting ignition pulses. Note - if you crank the starter, not just bump it, the oil pressure switch can close and power the fuel pump. That is why the test is to just bump the starter.
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2013 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you opened a fuel line to your TBI, yet? Most 88s and 87s I've had that sat up, the injector is bad/stuck.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock