bypassing water pump/heater hose by maybenot
Started on: 10-26-2013 06:33 PM
Replies: 14 (470 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 11-10-2013 05:37 PM
maybenot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2013 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey guys.
so i am delving into my heating system as the temps drop. all of it so far with the great knowledge here-thanks.
i have replaced the heater core, thermostat,both caps and checked all lines for being crushed or kinked.
when tracing the last hose, it goes under the batt tray,around by the passenger taillight and is cut and capped.
searching the archives, i found there are 2 types of water pumps with a fitting and without. my water pump must have been
replaced at some point without a fitting. the water pump works fine and i would rather not replace it.
how did the cars place this hose when there was no fitting on the pump. one thread said something along the lines
that it was teed into a line. can this be done?
any ideas or thoughts on if i can connect it into an existing line and get the same result?
thanks again.
johnny
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2013 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On the '85 and '86 V6, the heater return line goes back to the water pump, via that pipe that goes under the battery tray. But on the '87 and '88 V6, the heater return line goes into the passenger side coolant pipe... the long pipe that runs up to the radiator. The junction where the heater line meets the coolant pipe is near the right front corner of the engine cradle.

What year is your Fiero? And is the heater bypassed or blocked off right now?
maybenot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2013 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sorry, forgot to mention it.
85 v6.
car has a/c and the hose is cut/caped at the taillight area. the water pump hasnohose pipe that i can see.
maybenot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2013 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

maybenot

173 posts
Member since Jun 2013
is that junction something that can be done on a non 87-88 car?
any pics of this hose and junction?
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2013 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your water pump likely has a plug in where the pipe would enter it. The pipe points to the rear of the car on the top part of the pump. Take a look and see if you don't have a plug in the water pump there, I have never seen a pump with no pipe or plug in it. Then just take the plug out, put in a pipe fitting and plumb it into the pipe that goes under the battery tray. Larry
maybenot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2013 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks larry,
didnt look for a plug,just a pipe fitting.
looking at a picture of the pump from the fiero store site that has one, what kind of plug do you think it would be to take out?
socket/screwdriver? just so i know what to feel for-cant see very well in there like if engine was out.
thanks
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2013 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will ahve to look at it and see what type of plug it is, likely just a 1/2 inch pipe plug with a square head on it, but it could be fancy with an allen head and be brass. Believe me, it will be there, easy to get to. Kind of behind the pulley a little I think. Larry
maybenot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2013 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks,
i was thinking with the dogbone on top and brittle vac lines in the way it might be a real pain. but i'll look better now i know what to look for tomorrow.
thanks again
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could replace the passenger side undercar coolant tube with one from an 87.
It is a bolt in swap.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, that would work too. Plus, you may need some hose and a coupling to attach to the existing heater line.
maybenot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i was just looking into the car with my morning coffee and found the plug on the pump. its got a square top which should be easy enough to get out.
the hose routing has me baffled though. the hose ends past the pump and dogbone. the hose would have to make a u-turn and then hard turn to get to waterpump.
couldnt find a hose in fiero store(all they have is non a/c).
maybe replacing the coolant tube would be the easier option. cannot ever be simple, i guess thats why we love these cars. you get a sense of
satisfaction solving the dilemas they pose.
i'll update for the record how i solved it.
thanks guys.
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This may help (85-86 V6 routing):

[This message has been edited by Bloozberry (edited 10-27-2013).]

maybenot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks BB,
i actually think i found the hose on fierostore. i had typed in coolant hose search and they list it as heater hose.
maybe i'll get lucky.
maybenot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2013 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok, so for anyone else with a bad previous owner...
i cant post pics
i had previously replaced my heater core. threads in archive are better than anything i could contribute. next,
i removed plug from water pump, got a 6" pipe with 1/2" thread.
put tape on threads and screwed it in.
put on fiero store pre-formed hose from near taillight hose to new pipe.
routed hoses from thermostat nipple and hose tee to 2 threaded nipples on either side of carb.
clamped everything down, filled up system and checked for leaks.
nothing obvious so proceeded to start car. let it run for a minute and re-checked for leaks.
luckily there were none, so i burped system, re-checked again and then sat it car to feel the wonderful heat.
thanks for everyones help.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2013 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool... I mean hot.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock