I am chasing a knocking/clunk in the front passenger side 86 GT by zkhennings
Started on: 10-25-2013 02:08 PM
Replies: 4 (218 views)
Last post by: donuteater306 on 10-26-2013 01:29 AM
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2013 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have installed new ball joints, new shocks, and new wheel bearings. I have both inner and outer tie rods on hand but I don't think they are the cause. I have been searching pff and was wondering if the worn passenger side steering rack bushing that can cause clunks commonly in the 88s applies to the earlier models as well (86).

Is there an easy way to check if the rack bushing is at fault? the car only makes noise when driving and going over any sized bumps, even really small ones. It does not make the noise when I jump on the front end over the passenger wheel, so it is caused by a forwards and backwards motion, not up and down. It does not clunk during braking and the car handles like it is new. Super smooth on the highway at any speed, it feels great.

The prior knowledge makes me doubt it is the fault of the control arms or bushings as I feel these would have a noticeable effect on the handling, but I will check. Sway bar endlinks and bushings are all poly and do not seem to make any noise when I hit them with a rubber mallet.

Oh yea, wheel well liner is removed, coolant lines are secure, jack has been removed, spare tire has been removed, windshield washer fluid has been removed, I checked under the dash, I checked the brake lines, everything is attached super securely, or I removed it for these noise tests. I also did tests with headlights up and down to make sure they did not change the results.

So I am 99% positive it is the suspension, and if it is, it is either the rack or the control arms.

Any additional ideas on how to pinpoint the noise? Thanks guys
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2013 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Passenger side steering rack bushing. I've had two cars with a front end clunk on irregular roads. Both had a worn steering rack bushing. Jack up the front and push side to side on the passenger side tire while someone looks at the tie rod near the rack. You will see up and down movement if the rack bushing is worn.. Think I got that right.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2013 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had the steering rack bushing rattle - but that also caused some feedback of the rattle in the steering wheel.
I've also had just a loose bolt on the shock up front cause a rattle
and, there are classic things like the brake caliper
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2013 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found it, the lower shock mount bolt had messed up threads causing an incorrect torque reading... so even though the nut was torqued to spec, the shock was tiniest bit loose. It was not until I undid the top of the shock to access the upper control arm bolts did I notice that the bottom shock mount was loose. Because the shocks are gas charged it was impossible to tell until I undid the top. Thanks for the suggestions I am surprised it was so hard to find.
donuteater306

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2013 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the exact same problem with my 87 GT. haha, drove me crazy. Half turn on a lower mount bolt, problem solved.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock