Radio replacement questions by ford2go
Started on: 10-25-2013 02:07 AM
Replies: 9 (1174 views)
Last post by: cmechmann on 10-27-2013 05:43 PM
ford2go

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2013 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ford2goSend a Private Message to ford2goEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi,

I'm thinking about replacing the ol' cassette radio. I found the following parts ( available from wally)

1.Scosche GM1504 adapter for single DIN -- has more parts than something from Ikea!

2. Scosche GM01RB reverse connector so I can plug into the harness.

Now, I'm wondering about the antenna -- is it the more or less standard connector? I'm hoping that it's a simple plug in.

Also, I'm not really planning to replace the seat speakers yet, but I hope that they sound better with a new radio. Has anyone noticed a difference after replacing the radio?

ANy recommendations for a moderately priced unit? (<$150 -- less is better). I'd like a CD player and just an aux INPUT -- standard audio jack is fine. I don't need any phone/tablet control.

Thanks,

hj
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2013 05:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will throw away 95% of the pieces that come in the mounting kit! Antenna is plug and play most of the time. You will still be splicing wires from the radio plug to the adapter so buy a package of wire crimp connectors and be sure to have electrical tape. As for sound, It might not be as good as the original My $300+ radio upgrade did not have the same base as my original until I added a non powered subwoofer. I'll be adding a powered sub shortly. Oh - have some spare fuses and be careful with the screwdriver.

I got mine at best buy --- They had a nice assortment starting under $100.00. Also have them do an install estimate. Depending on the radio it can sometimes be cheaper and faster to have them do it but you still may need to provide the mounting kit.

[This message has been edited by steve308 (edited 10-25-2013).]

FieroTony

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2013 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got this one from www.crutchfield.com about 1½ years ago. Mounting kit with face plate, GM wiring kit, very detailed instructions and [free] shipping. All for right around $100. Has a rear port for a Bluetooth adaptor (extra $$$), front port for MP3, IPod, etc..., HD radio. Sounds great.

92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2013 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

You will throw away 95% of the pieces that come in the mounting kit! Antenna is plug and play most of the time.

True

You will still be splicing wires from the radio plug to the adapter so buy a package of wire crimp connectors and be sure to have electrical tape..

I prefer wire nuts....they have worked better for me than crimpers and tape....plus it is single step process since the wire nut connects the two ends of the wire and insulates it at the same time ....BTW I also use a Bic lighter for a wire stripper (something my Dad taught me back when used to own a stereo shop back in the day).
fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2013 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an aftermarket stereo mount from this company in Canada:

http://maptechenterprises.c...t_info&products_id=8

It is awesome, a little spendy but, it mounts flush and has an illuminated "Fiero" at the top.

I installed a JVC stereo I picked up from Walmart, I added new dash speakers and a factory sub rebuilt with a new Rodney Dickman speaker and am running the stock seat speakers, campared to the factory radio it sounds a whole lot better.
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2013 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another option is this Faceplate.

It is a little pricey but easy to install and I like the flush mount and customization.

Here is a link to their site.
http://maptechenterprises.com/storefront/

------------------

[This message has been edited by 1MohrFiero (edited 10-26-2013).]

RPYRAZOO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try "Replacementradios.com" they were VERY helpful and professional.
Rich
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Assuming the speakers in your Fiero are not blown. Just about any modern aftermarket radio will make them sound like a concert when compared with a stock Delco. My suggestion is that you go to whatever store it is in your area that sells car radios and try them out. Since you are looking for a basic CD player, pay attention to how easy it is to operate the most common functions..Bass, Treble, Fade, Balance, and clock settings. The rest you'll probably never mess with.

I had a family member who used to work for Sony and we used to get their products dirt cheap but, I've always been a fan of DelcoGM radios. For the longest time, My Fiero had a Delco CD with EQ out of a 2002 Grand Prix. It lit-up orange, fit perfectly and looked stock. I had it modified with an aux jack to play MP3's. With stock speakers, in my opinion, it sounded fantastic. Then I tested in my Fiero, an older Sony radio that my brother removed from car he sold. I could not believe the difference in sound quality.

Currently, I am running that 10 year old Sony CD player with a wire harness from Replacement Radios that's been modified (by their instructions) to work with my factory Performance Sound. I have 85 style seats with factory headrest speakers, and I used a mounting kit that allows the radio to sit flush with the dash. I don't like the kits that push the radio forward...like it's sticking out.

Hope this, along with the other member's experience helps answer your questions. Keep us updated.

northstar

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-27-2013 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northstarSend a Private Message to northstarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here is the one i bought 2 din all the goodies even back up camera... http://www.ebay.com/itm/251...2649#ht_10601wt_1034
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The radio I'm using is almost the same as Fierotony's except the display color is red instead of blue. In the dark kind of looks like a Startrak ship.
Please don't hack your original wiring and use a harness adapter. I solder and heat shrink my wires and never have a corroded connection problem later. Makes it so much easier to return to stock or replace later. When I had got mine, somebody had already hacked the stock harness . They had also had one of those radios that had the I candy display. It was the second one(different vehicle) that I had that took a dive. Seems the cheaper ones last longer.
If I had to do it again, I would get a later GM stock radio with CD. Just seem to fit better to me. HMM, wife's been I balling mine for her car. Would have to find a good wiring adapter for a 2001 Lumina radio though and another for her car.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock