Stuck Cylinder Head by smmilke
Started on: 10-24-2013 02:20 AM
Replies: 3 (209 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 10-24-2013 11:48 AM
smmilke

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smmilkeSend a Private Message to smmilkeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm doing a partial overhaul on my duke and am having a hell of a time pulling the head. Both manifolds are off, so is everything else that looks like it could possibly hold the head on. I can get the head to wiggle a bit about its long axis, so I think it has broken free from the gasket and its not jamming on the locating pins. It seems to rotate about the center (looking down the length of the head) and doesn't have as much movement on the alternator end. It seems like something on that end of the motor should be removed before I pull it but I can't find any other parts holding it on. I have even tried lifting it off with an engine hoist. The only other issue is the center head bolt next to the exhaust snapped off before turning out, but this should only act as a stud or extra locator pin and not a fastener. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated! [img]http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg621/smmilke/P1030527_zps386d5ef b.jpg[/img]

[This message has been edited by smmilke (edited 10-24-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First guess looking at the pictures - in your first picture I see the metal bracket/loop that is used to hoist the engine. It looks to extend down below the head mating surface. is there one or more bolts securing that to the block that need to come out?
Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had this same issue--the broken head bolt is your problem. It is jammed with either rust or exhaust residue, depending on exactly which bolt broke. You might try using PB Blaster or some other penetrating oil in the hole where the broken bolt is located. That, and LOTS of patient wiggling and pulling to break the head free and it will pull off. In my case the engine was out of the car and I had enough room to spin the head around the broken bolt to help break it loose........

------------------
Rod Schneider, Ball Ground, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1987 Porsche 944S
1987 Corvette
1966 Porsche 911
2001 Chrysler 300M
Van's RV-6 airplane

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Rod. Soak that bolt in PB Blaster or Kroil for a few days, then try again. Also, if you hit the end of the broken bolt with a punch and a hammer, while keeping upward tension on the head, it should help to work that bolt out.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock